Flood trucks? Good idea? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. Have the option of getting a early gx470 with 136 k for cheap at auction listed as run and drive. Water got to door. Should I run or roll the dice. I know the differintal should be flushed but what else could be damaged?

If water has reached the door panels , and stayed at that level for some time ,it most brobaly got into the gearbox /transfer and diff.
If this is the case it will certainly run and drive , but all bearings will be compromised , and in demand to be changed .
I let you work out the damage .
In case of water submerge , you need to flush the parts many times asap , till no evidence of residual water .
Don't Ask how I know.......fortunately not on a toyota .

You should ask this in the 120 / 150 forum as more eyes familiar with the chassis would see it - The 90 is Pre Lexus 470 chassis

If water has reached the door panels , and stayed at that level for some time ,it most brobaly got into the gearbox /transfer and diff.
If this is the case it will certainly run and drive , but all bearings will be compromised , and in demand to be changed .
I let you work out the damage .
In case of water submerge , you need to flush the parts many times asap , till no evidence of residual water .
Don't Ask how I know.......fortunately not on a toyota .
Drain, refill run briefly wearing corrosion away in fresh lubricants, drain again and refill with clean lubricants. If this procedure is done fairly soon after submersion you may be all right........ Driving it with contaminated lubricants will eventually evaporate the moisture away but there will be wear and some damage shortening lifespan. Worst case is a vehicle that was not driven at all after flooding and sat for several weeks allowing all the moving parts to corrode. If it was salt water it's a ticking time bomb for what and when will fail...... Bearings in particular consider this, chances are every single time you get your four-wheel drive stuck in a watery mudhole water will enter the clutch access cover submerging to throw out bearing in dirty muddy water. They still last quite a long time before the clutch starts shuddering due to a worn out bearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom