fj80 gearbox removal help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi..I have an early 80 series with 3f (australian version).and need to know the easiest way to remove the gearbox..I have a gearbox jack and am looking at doing this myself...any advice is appreciated .

hi..I have an early 80 series with 3f (australian version).and need to know the easiest way to remove the gearbox..I have a gearbox jack and am looking at doing this myself...any advice is appreciated .

Which gearbox, automatic or manual transmission? And, why, just curious.

Sorry forgot to mention manual...not to sure if the box will slide straight out or will I have to turn it 45 degrees to remove it or does this method of removal only apply to which engine and box combo.? ..thanks.

I'm looking at swapping the gearbox over 4 other .The old one has bout 500thousand kms on it ...time 4 another one.

Never heard of rotating any Landcruiser transmission to remove/install it.

OK been there and done this a couple of times and it is very straightforward.

Remove antiroll bar mounts, you will find the box goes in and out without doing this but the extra room is worthwhile. Remove cooling fan if VC type, disconnect battery, remove starter, remove clutch slave cylinder, remove both propshafts, remove centre console, remove gearsticks, support gearbox, remove crossmember, lower gearbox a few inches, disconnect reverse light wiring, speedo drive, disconnect diff lock wiring, disconnect trans and gearbox breather pipes, now use two long extensions to reach top bellhousing bolts, remove all other bolts.

Now lower the gearbox a little further and pull back, looking from the rear rotate a little to the left, the bellhousing is tall and fouls on the bulkhead if you don't, when you can see there is enough room to pull the gearbox all the way back, wedge a piece of timber between the engine sump and crossmember, slide entire gear/transfer out in one go.

Everything in reverse to go back but, as you may need a little extra manouvering room to get the primary shaft into the pilot bearing, remove the starter motor stud that remains when taking the starter out, sooo much easier.

Regards

Dave

OK been there and done this a couple of times and it is very straightforward.

Remove antiroll bar mounts, you will find the box goes in and out without doing this but the extra room is worthwhile. Remove cooling fan if VC type, disconnect battery, remove starter, remove clutch slave cylinder, remove both propshafts, remove centre console, remove gearsticks, support gearbox, remove crossmember, lower gearbox a few inches, disconnect reverse light wiring, speedo drive, disconnect diff lock wiring, disconnect trans and gearbox breather pipes, now use two long extensions to reach top bellhousing bolts, remove all other bolts.

Now lower the gearbox a little further and pull back, looking from the rear rotate a little to the left, the bellhousing is tall and fouls on the bulkhead if you don't, when you can see there is enough room to pull the gearbox all the way back, wedge a piece of timber between the engine sump and crossmember, slide entire gear/transfer out in one go.

Everything in reverse to go back but, as you may need a little extra manouvering room to get the primary shaft into the pilot bearing, remove the starter motor stud that remains when taking the starter out, sooo much easier.

Regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom