FJ80, FZJ80, LX450, LX470 Front seat sagging (loose) netting pocket repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Simple FZJ80 seat back pocket repair:

Like most Cruiser heads, I try to keep my 97’ FZJ80 running and looking good. Recently, I decided to tackle the sagging front seat back netting or pocket. The elastic cord that gives the netting its shape had seen better days. With my rig, it was kids and age. Research on the internet revealed several methods with good results. However, none of these was to my liking. So, after removing the seat backs and studying their construction. I came up with the following process. You do not need to remove the seats; only the seat backs.

I used a Mil-Spec bungee cord from this site (no affiliation to this site).

This:

TO THIS:

Please see the attached PDF file for complete details:

Attachments

• Seat back netting repair.pdf
    308.6 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
Simple FZJ80 seat back pocket repair:

Like most Cruiser heads, I try to keep my 97’ FZJ80 running and looking good. Recently, I decided to tackle the sagging front seat back netting or pocket. The elastic cord that gives the netting its shape had seen better days. With my rig, it was kids and age. Research on the internet revealed several methods with good results. However, none of these was to my liking. So, after removing the seat backs and studying their construction. I came up with the following process. You do not need to remove the seats; only the seat backs.

I used a Mil-Spec bungee cord from this site (no affiliation to this site).

This:
View attachment 1946190

TO THIS:
View attachment 1946191

Please see the attached PDF file for complete details:
Great work! Thanks

I have a 1995 which has a different seat back design.
C6F2D908-4DC6-4ECC-AB33-5BE30D7FD5CE.jpeg

To remove the seat back, there are two screws near the top under plastic caps. Pop the caps off, remove the screws, and lift off the back. I drilled a 3/16 hole above the top push nuts and was able to pry out the end of the old cord with two small screwdrivers.
A8AF2C00-65D4-4A3C-8380-41793306A307.jpeg

Then I inserted the new cord through the outside hole and pryed it up the same way as the old cord.
E86D9E1D-16C4-41B6-BB37-2D364152A9AF.jpeg

Put a washer over it and tie it off. Repeat for the other side and done!
I found some brown bungee cord on Amazon for $10. Close enough for my multi-brown interior.
43437D31-50D0-4912-A297-0F9DCE07A355.jpeg

I want to give a little shout out to these replacement seat back pockets from Plaid Wagon. I came across them on social media and don't think I've seen a mention on IH8MUD. I've previously done a variety of fixes on my seat back pockets, but they still weren't perfect. They looked old and left the impression other things were a bit beat up too. While $100 for Plaid Wagon's replacement may seem a bit much (after all, I've never used the seat back pockets and they've never impacted performance), they really are a nice finishing touch. For the record, I have no interest in Plaid Wagon -- they've got my $100, and I now have very nice seat back pockets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom