FJ80 Dash Removal (With Video!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Decided to install my Alpine head unit yesterday.

I searched the forums to see if there were any instructions and I found a couple with pics and what not.

I decided to make a lil video, because video is better and I'm surprised there aren't more on here.

Hopefully with the title and video, this will make it easier for other members to find and tackle on their own.

I bought a wiring harness adapter from Walmart and matched it color for color with the Apline harness.

Some soldering and heat shrink later, I plugged it all in and boom.

Enjoi!

YouTube - FJ80 Dash Removal

Also attached is a picture of the head unit installed
iphone 009.jpg

That's a great video. I am about to take my dash off to replace the stereo and wanted to see the relative difficulty. for all the stuff in the dash it doesn't seem too bad to get at it. Typical toyota

Thank you for the video. It was great that you did that. I'm getting ready to do my CDL switch on my 95 and needed to see that. Now I wonder if I will have the same 4 screws to remove!? :hmm:

There is not a bit of dust behind that dash. You ever had that off road? :hmm:

Thank you for the video. It was great that you did that. I'm getting ready to do my CDL switch on my 95 and needed to see that. Now I wonder if I will have the same 4 screws to remove!? :hmm:

The two in the ash tray area are the same on 95-97. The cupholder / cubby above the radio will need to be removed on the 95-97s to gain access to the other two screws. Wiggle and pull the black bezel a bit to loosen from the dash and it's off. Two harnesses for the climate control you may want to disconnect to get more room.

The cupholder / cubby above the radio will need to be removed on the 95-97s to gain access to the other two screws.
I didn't know that "cubby" thingy can be a cupholder. My mechanic broke the cubby loose on my last LX and it sat in wobbly and I hated it. So, is there a trick in getting it out without breaking anything? Also, once the cubby is removed - where exactly are the two screws? Thanks.

nice vid .. justn a note for all of us that have the old dash .. mine was so toasted from sun and age that try to pull with one hand ( even with both ) just broke it .. I try mine with so much care and still crack it in few spots ..

I didn't know that "cubby" thingy can be a cupholder. My mechanic broke the cubby loose on my last LX and it sat in wobbly and I hated it. So, is there a trick in getting it out without breaking anything? Also, once the cubby is removed - where exactly are the two screws? Thanks.

On the cubby - there are two tabs that hold it inside the void (at top IIRC). USing a small standard screw driver, place the tip in one tab and pry down gently. Once it pops free a bit, use your hand to keep the one free side from going back in. Use screw driver to gently pry the other tab down. Once down slide the unit out. Two screws on - one on each side. I believe Slee offroad can source the cupholder. Many discussions on it. The Land Rover Discovery cupholder attached to console is a much better cupholder option. And it doesn't make your LC leak any more oil or the electronics whig out..... contrary to popular belief

My LC hasn't really seen any off road.

It pretty much sat around for the last 2 years. I would occasionally start it and stuff.

Now that I sold all my vehicles and kept the LC, it's getting the love it deserved.

Hopefully there will be many more videos to come.

On the cubby - there are two tabs that hold it inside the void (at top IIRC). USing a small standard screw driver, place the tip in one tab and pry down gently. Once it pops free a bit, use your hand to keep the one free side from going back in. Use screw driver to gently pry the other tab down. Once down slide the unit out. Two screws on - one on each side. I believe Slee offroad can source the cupholder. Many discussions on it. The Land Rover Discovery cupholder attached to console is a much better cupholder option. And it doesn't make your LC leak any more oil or the electronics whig out..... contrary to popular belief

You rock! Thank you so much.

Thanks for the great reference. I was able to install my head unit in less than an hour.
:cheers:

I think i have pulled my dash maybe 10-20 times over the past few years....adding switches for lockers, lights, head units, wiring, etc. great video.

Looks like the video is no longer available. I'm trying to remove the climate control unit off the center part of the dash on my 92. But it looks like it is held in place by the dash frame. I removed the 4 screws. What else do I need to do to remove it? Do I need to remove more of the dash?

FB_IMG_1707506421825.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom