FJ80 Caster Correction Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some feedback on caster correction options.

97 LC with TJM 50mm lift and 30mm spacers up front. Distance from center of hub to bottom of fender flare approximately 22.5" on both sides.

I ran the OME 2* bushings and caster equaled +0.5 degree on each side (not enough). Took those out and installed 3.5* bushings and caster equaled +3.9* Drivers and +4.1* Passenger side.

My bushings have disintegrated and considering plates. I would like to get back to about the same caster reading with the 3.5* bushings but not sure if the plates will push me way over the max caster spec and cause drive line issues.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

I have the TJM 50mm suspension and run Landtank 4" caster plates. Fender to hub measurement was a hair over 23" before I installed a front bumper, now closer to 22". I haven't been to the alignment shop to see what my actual readings are, but the truck drives great. I do have a DC front shaft. Probably going to put a 1" spacer in front to bring it back to where it was before I put the bumper on.

I have the TJM 50mm suspension and run Landtank 4" caster plates. Fender to hub measurement was a hair over 23" before I installed a front bumper, now closer to 22". I haven't been to the alignment shop to see what my actual readings are, but the truck drives great. I do have a DC front shaft. Probably going to put a 1" spacer in front to bring it back to where it was before I put the bumper on.
Thanks for the info. I'll probably go with Landtank 2.5" plates in an effort to not add too much caster. Should put me in the +3* range.

Thought I would update this posts since I have now installed the 2.5" land tank caster plates and had my alignment checked.

Here's the summary of my caster quest.

1) OME 2 degree bushings = +5 degree on both sides (not enough). Drove like crap requiring constant steering input.
2) 3.5 degree bushings = +3.9 / +4.1 (very stable)
3) Back to oem bushings & land tank 2.5" caster plates = +2.7 / +2.1. Technically within spec but wish I had more caster. Doesn't seem as planted as when I was running the 3.5 degree bushings. It still wants to move around on the road and requires much steering input.

I'm done fooling with it for now. I don't see any options available other than to try the 4" plates. I'm afraid if I go that route I'll introduce drive line issues. Its not terrible but could be better.

Hopefully this post will provide information for others to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom