FJ62 Transmission Flush with aux Trans cooler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know, but you can’t have too many posts on this stuff.
How it starts.

Drain the transmission pan. Here is the drain plug.
Drain it into whatever you have as long as you pour it into a measurable container. You want to add back the exact amount of fluid you drained before you begin. I used a clear tote and 2 cheapo plastic gallon jugs that were exactly alike for measuring purposes. Keep one jug as a clean fluid only jug.
96F61FDF-2362-4BF3-99B2-288E5BB58E1E.jpeg

Added new fluid to the transmission then removed the front plastic to expose the aux trans cooler.
E311BF32-DC41-476D-A2D3-C96239D852FC.jpeg

I used the bottom line because that is the return line to the transmission. I wanted old fluid coming out as the engine ran.
17F9A021-5890-4D9D-9BB5-073721B538E6.jpeg

Used a clear 3/8 ID and ran it to a 1 gallon pitcher. It will fill the pitcher in less than a minute.

A8ECD783-56AE-4CFB-99FD-9A95669821DA.jpeg

Notice how dark the fluid is? Remember to cycle through the gears. You will only be taking out a gallon or so at a time so you can cycle through the gears multiple times. All in all about 4 gallons worth. I was using 2 identical pitchers and measuuring the fluid level with a marker each time. Flush a gallon, fill a gallon. See how much better the new stuff looks.

1C17D349-502F-4047-9010-D7E6A48F2DA7.jpeg

Added new fluid through the trans dipstck hole. Takes a while but it works.
Keep repeating until the color coming out of your hose matches the color you are putting in through the dipstick.
It will take you a few times especially if you are on your own but all in all the whole job is about 2 hours. For me it was a last ditch effort in hopes of avoiding a rebuild. We shall see.
Used:
3 feet of 3/8 Id hose
4 gallons of Castrol TRANS/MERC trans fluid
1 Dollar General clear tote
2 Dollar General plastic gallon tea pitchers
1 funnel from Advance Auto with tiny spout to fit into the transmission dipstick hole.
Happy wrenching Mudders!

Well documented - thank you. And, no, this can't be communicated too often. Running the engine to pump out the torque converter and coolers is critical.

You can also use gallon milk jugs as 'pitchers' and toss them when done.

And when you're all done, get the trans fully hot, cycle it thru the gears, and check the fluid level.

I used that other line off of the trans cooler to suck the fluid up to avoid having to pour it all through the tiny dipstick hole.

I used that other line off of the trans cooler to suck the fluid up to avoid having to pour it all through the tiny dipstick hole.
Since completion I have heard about this. I wasn't sure it would work for taking in the same amount of fluid that was dispersing. I like it though because the dipstick is a pita to pour fluid into without making a mess.

I know, but you can’t have too many posts on this stuff.
How it starts.

Drain the transmission pan. Here is the drain plug.
Drain it into whatever you have as long as you pour it into a measurable container. You want to add back the exact amount of fluid you drained before you begin. I used a clear tote and 2 cheapo plastic gallon jugs that were exactly alike for measuring purposes. Keep one jug as a clean fluid only jug.
View attachment 2159816

Added new fluid to the transmission then removed the front plastic to expose the aux trans cooler.
View attachment 2159817

I used the bottom line because that is the return line to the transmission. I wanted old fluid coming out as the engine ran.
View attachment 2159805

Used a clear 3/8 ID and ran it to a 1 gallon pitcher. It will fill the pitcher in less than a minute.

View attachment 2159809
Notice how dark the fluid is? Remember to cycle through the gears. You will only be taking out a gallon or so at a time so you can cycle through the gears multiple times. All in all about 4 gallons worth. I was using 2 identical pitchers and measuuring the fluid level with a marker each time. Flush a gallon, fill a gallon. See how much better the new stuff looks.

View attachment 2159813

Added new fluid through the trans dipstck hole. Takes a while but it works.
Keep repeating until the color coming out of your hose matches the color you are putting in through the dipstick.
It will take you a few times especially if you are on your own but all in all the whole job is about 2 hours. For me it was a last ditch effort in hopes of avoiding a rebuild. We shall see.
Used:
3 feet of 3/8 Id hose
4 gallons of Castrol TRANS/MERC trans fluid
1 Dollar General clear tote
2 Dollar General plastic gallon tea pitchers
1 funnel from Advance Auto with tiny spout to fit into the transmission dipstick hole.
Happy wrenching Mudders!
Thanks for the thread. Just ran through the flush and took it for a spin. No joy. Still no reverse unfortunately. Just creeps in reverse. Again, much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom