FJ62 Power window problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just recently my power windows went out when I was rolling up the passenger side window. The switch fell out and there was some smoke. So I figured that the Master control switch was shot. I ordered a used switch from Cruiserparts, the switch looked pretty much brand new. I hooked it up and nothing. I checked the fuse, even tried a new window relay ( had one from a door I replaced a while back) and still nothing. All the wiring seems to be in good shape. Any ideas would be much appreciated as it is almost winter and my window is stuck down. Thanks

If by window relay you mean the green plastic box in the lower front corner of the drivers door, that is for the drivers door only. There is no fuse for the power windows. It is a circuit breaker--a round can to the right of all the fuses and labeled POWER. It is the bottom of the two circuit breakers, the other one being for the heater motor. I believe it has a small hole in the top of the circuit breaker that you can stick a paper clip in to reset it.

If by window relay you mean the green plastic box in the lower front corner of the drivers door, that is for the drivers door only. There is no fuse for the power windows. It is a circuit breaker--a round can to the right of all the fuses and labeled POWER. It is the bottom of the two circuit breakers, the other one being for the heater motor. I believe it has a small hole in the top of the circuit breaker that you can stick a paper clip in to reset it.

Shouldn't it automatically reset under normal conditions? I would think if it isn't doing it on its own, it should be replaced.

Just recently my power windows went out when I was rolling up the passenger side window. The switch fell out and there was some smoke. So I figured that the Master control switch was shot. I ordered a used switch from Cruiserparts, the switch looked pretty much brand new. I hooked it up and nothing. I checked the fuse, even tried a new window relay ( had one from a door I replaced a while back) and still nothing. All the wiring seems to be in good shape. Any ideas would be much appreciated as it is almost winter and my window is stuck down. Thanks

What actually fell out? The window lock switch? I had that happen before and you can usually try and bridge the contacts to get the windows back up for a temporary solution. You can also just take apart the master window switch. It's not a complicated part and you may be able to repair it.

Awesome, that was the problem. Thanks for the info. There is however a new problem that has arisen. I got my passenger window to roll up and everything works good including the door locks for the first time, but the passenger window is no longer working. On the master power window switch when I use the passenger switch it rolls up the driver side all the way up. I am kinda wondering if the new master switch. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

I am having the same issue that Charles was back in '11. At the master control switch the passenger up button rolls the drivers window all the way up like the auto down button.

I had the same issue as Charles and Wes with a NEW master switch that I ordered from the Switch Doctor. Pressing up on my PASSENGER front window would cause the DRIVERS window to roll all the way up. Simple solution,:the new master switch was wired improperly from the Switch Doc. Easy fix, take your old master switch, and compare the wires going into the connection harness and move any that are out of place. Pressing down on a small tab inside lets the wire come out pretty easy, then slide that wire into the proper place according to how your old master switch was wired. Plenty of graphics of the wiring if you search this site.

I ordered a replacement switch as the passenger one could not actuate down(up was fine), the master switch worked fine from the drivers side.

Anyway the switch came in the wrong color so I reused the housing from the original and installed it.. the button works great!! However now my drivers side master switch for that window doesn’t work...???!?!? It will stop the motion if I’m actuating from the passenger side so I know it’s still a part of the cct but im just unsure as to what I should do now?!

I tried the old switch and also tried completely removing the plug but the master still doesn’t work..
Anyone come across this?

its currently on my to do list, with all this downtime.

In the mean time I switched out the rear passenger one. Which solved my problems . I’ll work on the switch soon.
Sounds like the single switch might just be incorrectly wired. Easy mistake to make. I do it so much that if something electrical isn't working right that's the first thing I check.

Thanks. I bought it on eBay. I'll compare the wiring to one I know is good.

mate you’re following me around!!

Sounds like the single switch might just be incorrectly wired. Easy mistake to make. I do it so much that if something electrical isn't working right that's the first thing I check.

Interesting. I’ll get back to you as soon as I figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom