FJ62 3F-E vacuum hoses (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this has been done in past threads and I did my due diligence reading them.... but I have no definitive answer. Let's see if you all can clear it up for me.

What diameter vacuum hose and how much do I need to buy to re-hose my stock emissions U.S. spec 3F-E in my FJ62?

XX feet of X.X mm
and
XX feet of X.X mm

Thanks in advance. BTW, I've seen the hose routing diagrams and if someone would like to re-post those up on this thread. Would be nice to have a "one stop shop" with all the good info.

Here is a diagram of the vacuum hoses. ***EDIT- the lengths of the hoses are in millimeters in parenthesis i.e. (L=480)
FJ62-vacuum-lines_small.jpg

Last edited:
A few recommendations:

1. Buy plenty of hose, relatively cheap and extra is bettah (no-brainer)
2. Do one hose at a time and compare it to the diagram to make sure some previous owner didn't cross them (personal experience).
3. Try to keep the hoses the same length as factory.
4. I went with a different color replacement hose to make sure I didn't miss one or do one twice.
5. Blow out the all the hard lines with O2 sensor safe throttle body cleaner, I believe there are eight total hard tubes on or near the engine itself.

Great thread. I'll keep it bookmarked for when I need to replace my hoses.

right at the top of the engine where the two vacuum lines get source vacuum you can put two BB's ( from a BB gun) into the lines right before nipple where the hose slips on. The BB's are actually in the hose and can be removed easily after if you wish.

The result is a very happy running 3fe. Basically it shuts off the vacuum to the poison generating EGR.

I gained fuel economy by doing this in my 80. Best part is, that nobody can tell it's altered from stock.

5. Blow out the all the hard lines with O2 sensor safe throttle body cleaner, I believe there are eight total hard tubes on or near the engine itself.

Does this mean just remove the attached hose and shoot some cleaner into the nipple? Or are there other steps involved?

Resurrection!

Looks like boostcontroller.com doesn't sell 5.5mm anymore. Is 5mm ok to use?

Thanks!

Yes 5mm is a fine replacement. I have used it in my cruiser along with a number of others with no ill effects.

Boostcontroller.com had the best prices and shipping from any of the vendors I looked at and I have not regretted the purchase.

Yes 5mm is a fine replacement. I have used it in my cruiser along with a number of others with no ill effects.

Boostcontroller.com had the best prices and shipping from any of the vendors I looked at and I have not regretted the purchase.

Good stuff! Just placed the order to boostcontroller last night. Thanks! :)

Replaced a lot of hoses today. Easy and fun! And now I have much more faith in my vacuum hoses (some of the old ones were pretty brittle).

A question: are there any to replace under the car? I thought I saw a few under there, but not sure. I did lots of work under the hood today, but none under the car.
Another question: there are two hoses (vacuum hoses, seemingly) coming out of the distributor; one goes to the the top of the air filter canister and the other connects to a nipple in the firewall, passenger side. Should I swap these out as well with the 5mm hose?

Thanks!

Brownbear can you identify which hoses to block with BB's? Will this cause me to fail emissions?

A picture would be fantastic

right at the top of the engine where the two vacuum lines get source vacuum you can put two BB's ( from a BB gun) into the lines right before nipple where the hose slips on. The BB's are actually in the hose and can be removed easily after if you wish.

The result is a very happy running 3fe. Basically it shuts off the vacuum to the poison generating EGR.

I gained fuel economy by doing this in my 80. Best part is, that nobody can tell it's altered from stock.
Hey Brownbear: Does this workaround also bypass the VSV for the air injection system? One of the nozzles on my VSV for AI snapped off when I was replacing vacuum hoses (and I wasn't even tugging!) and that part is impossible to find. Or can I just bypass the AI system without bypassing the AGR?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom