FJ60 Oil Filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

John Staton

SILVER Star
Threads
I have used the big

Toyota Oil Filter 15600-41010​

since I got my truck about 5 years ago. Seems like they are not avail anywhere so I ordered:

Toyota Genuine Parts 90915-YZZD3 Oil Filter​

Wow is is a lot smaller. Could that possibly be right?? I am working on getting a piece of my broke off dip stick tube out of my block and replacing the oil at the same time. Anyone else use this little filter on their 2F?

Thanks...js

I use Baldwin BT251 on my 3FE, it is quite a bit taller than the stock filter

WIX 51515 is the large can filter I use on my 60.

I have used the big

since I got my truck about 5 years ago. Seems like they are not avail anywhere so I ordered:

Wow is is a lot smaller. Could that possibly be right?? I am working on getting a piece of my broke off dip stick tube out of my block and replacing the oil at the same time. Anyone else use this little filter on their 2F?

Thanks...js
I just saw somewhere recently that those things just went NLA and what’s out there in the world is what’s left.

If you cut open the little Toyota filter, the filter media has the same area as the big original filter. Yeah it surprised me too. It’s just packed inside the little can much more efficiently. The big filter has a lot of wasted space.

A small oil filter housing is actually better for startup. The smaller the better. If a filter’s anti-drainback seal leaks, the canister slowly drains after the engine shuts off.
Then when the engine is started - the oil canister has to fill up before it starts circulating in the engine.
A little canister doesn’t take long to fill but a big one obviously takes longer.
During that time of canister filling- the engine has no oil circulation.

This was a problem for some giant WIX oil filters (51515). The drain back seal leaked, the canister drained after shutting down, and the next startup ran dry for too long.

There’s a thread here somewhere on mud 60 section where this exact thing happened to a guy’s 2F using a WIX 51515. After some amount of time (don’t recall) he was getting oil pressure problems and low compression etc.

Eventually it was found that his previously good condition engine got ruined from too many dry startups.
He cut open the filter to identify the problem, brought the defective filter attention to WIX, and they denied everything.

• That little Toyota oil filter is good. If you don’t like it’s demasculating apperance, use a Mobil M1 filter. Those are excellent- and expensive.

If you cut open the little Toyota filter, the filter media has the same area as the big original filter. Yeah it surprised me too. It’s just packed inside the little can much more efficiently. The big filter has a lot of wasted space.

A small oil filter housing is actually better for startup. The smaller the better. If a filter’s anti-drainback seal leaks, the canister slowly drains after the engine shuts off.
Then when the engine is started - the oil canister has to fill up before it starts circulating in the engine.
A little canister doesn’t take long to fill but a big one obviously takes longer.

This was a problem for some giant WIX oil filters (51515). The drain back seal leaked, the canister drained after shutting down, and the next startup ran dry for too long.

There’s a thread here somewhere on mud 60 section where this exact thing happened to a guy’s 2F using a WIX 51515. After some amount of time (don’t recall) he was getting oil pressure problems and low compression etc.

Eventually it was found that his previously good condition engine got ruined from too many dry startups.
He cut open the filter to identify the problem, brought the defective filter attention to WIX, and they denied everything.

• That little Toyota oil filter is good. If you don’t like it’s demasculating apperance, use a Mobil M1 filter. Those are excellent- and expensive.
That's why I started using Baldwins, I have heard the anti-drainback actually works since they're designed to be used "standing up" and the Wix designed to hang down

thanks for the great info....I dont like the demasculating appearance....but I will get over it.

Reactions: OSS
I have used the big

Thanks...js

DENSO made the FULL size canister filter 15600-41010

so .......

wouldn't another DENSO Full size canister filter be the logical choice ?

please take a moment John , and review a T-TEN TECH Time video that will help you make a informed decision

Well I use Valvoline VR1 20W-50. Texas and I only put about 5K miles on my truck a year so keep the same weight all year around. We dont get that cold. I have only used the large filter on my truck since I got it and had always sourced them from HemiAlex. Anyway, I did look up the 150-2066 on Amazon and it says made in China? Since I bought a 6 pack of the YZZD3 filters I will just go with them since no one reported anything bad about them. I do think I may try out Lucas additive on mine next change. Anyway, thanks for the info. Always learn something new on here when I post up a question.

So I know the WIX is not a Toyota filter however the WIX brand is widely used in the racing and aircraft industry. I have never experienced no oil pressure on start up and I do monitor my oil gauge during a start. I also like the added volume the larger filter provides over the mini filters. So if they have a check valve issue I have never seen it. Don't take my word do some research WIX is a high quality filter. No I do not sell WIX products.

90915-YZZD3 is the current factory application for any engine originally using 15600-41010.

One of the beneficial side effects of this filter is you dump only half the oil on the front axle and ground that you used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom