FJ45LV Colors - holy grail? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

treerootCO

Where are my keys?!
Threads
Website
home.comcast.net
I picked up a color book that was printed in Japan that might just be the holy grail of LV colors. I need to confirm that Colorado Beige T451 aka Colorado Beige T451 is a 45 wagon color and not an FJ55 color though. Colors are correct for 67. I don't have a 63-66 color chart yet but they were the same in 67.

We knew the other colors but have never known the color I call band-aid and Rick D calls salmon. For the two tone 45LVs the colors are:

310 Capri Blue
332 Seminole Red
1028 Spring Green
and.............

just maybe, maybe, maybe.....
403 Lily White
451 Colorado Beige aka 451 Coronado Beige
0.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited:
very cool but it doesn't help me now:( last week I got $500.00 of paint in the mail. (no place that carries ppg close by. I choose my colors off the color chart that has been floating around for a year or so. I am going with the lily white and the river blue. I don't think the river blue was ever on an lv but it is a vintage toyota color and I like how it looks.
very cool find though how long until it is photo edited and on the site:D
Jason

I have a "band aid" colored lv. It's a 65.

The picture of the swatch you posted looks darker...more like olive brown from a 40. Could be my monitor, could be that the paint turns more band aid colored as it ages/fades. Could be a little of each.

I don't think I've seen a 55 in that color.

Mike, hey great find!!! Where did you come up with the swatches?? After seeing your colors there....I'm leaning towards the Colorado/Coronado Beige and .............. . Don't know what the Sundune white looks like with that one....can you snap a photo of the combo? I've got Liz @ Auto Paint, in Colorado Springs looking up some numbers for me aswell. Hope all is good with you!!

Mike- You don't happen to have the grey metallic swatch for (T-1434)? Its supposedly the color for the instrument cluster and a few other grey items. Also, if you're not busy this weekend, my wife is up in Seattle till Sunday night. Looking foward to meetin you and talkin' shop!

BTW, got a hold of Liz @ Auto Paint, she's making me 3- 4 oz samples of the colors; Capri Blue, Colorado Beige and Lily White. She can do any of your referenced colors in a PPG Omni 2-stage paint. Definately a good way to go!!

Last edited:
unfortunately the colors in every swatch are different. I am pretty sure the books fade and are no longer any good for color matching. In one swatch the Lily White looks green to me, the other looks yellow. I'll scan them in but we can only use them for reference. None of mine would work to color match.

Wes, your 40 might be Sundune White, it is a tan color and not really a white. We'll have to check on that.

Jeff, I don't have the silver yet but Shane knows the numbers so I'm not worried about that one. I'll be wheeling with Toyota this weekend in Buena Vista.

Can you show us what the Seminole Red looks like? my 66 is Spring Green and what ever the White is. I am not sure i can bring myself to go back with the Spring Green. One minute I like it, the next I think it looks like something an old lady would drive. I really like that Red and White LV that is on your site which used to be owned by Seth. But not sure if that is a factory color, I think not. Are all the White tones the same color and was the "color" the only thing that changed, or where there variations on the White as well?

The colors I listed above are the factory colors. The only ones we are not positive on would be the Colorado Beige and what white the LVs used.

white should be the same white. I think the interior colors were tinted but that is just a guess at this point.

You can see the colors on my site but the server might be down at the moment.

red

The colors I listed above are the factory colors. The only ones we are not positive on would be the Colorado Beige and what white the LVs used.

white should be the same white. I think the interior colors were tinted but that is just a guess at this point.

You can see the colors on my site but the server might be down at the moment.

is the server still down, could not access it? is the red shown on your site off a color chart or are you talking about the pic showing the old LV with red color, which is all faded? I would like to see something bright and close to the red as new, does that exist? I see it on the new chart you got. Can you take a pic or scan it?

Colorado Beige et al

Not sure if this helps......I have a Toyota Motor Sales, USA Refinishing Guide from the seventies acquired from a Dealership.It has tons of pages listing all the paint codes and formulas used on the Corona, Crown, and Land Cruiser models imported into the US up to 1975......The code T-451 Colorado Beige is listed as a "medium beige" along with the correct formula to reproduce it for the US dealerships using the national paint supplier for Toyota at the time: The Inmont Corporation, Rinshed-Mason Products subsidiary. Shipping large batches of factory paint over here apparently was never a viable option to Toyota......There is a technical service bulletin, TMS-SVQ-354 dated 7/17/73, from Toyota Motor Sales, USA addressed to All Regional Service Managers/Distributor General Managers regarding Toyota Vehicle Paint Formula. It states that "the formulae were developed by Rinshed-Mason Products technicians and compared with vehicles at the Los Angeles P. O. E. for accuracy." So apparently some critically professional work went into these formulations...... As these are the original American formulations of the Japanese originals using the American supplier who had experts color match and actually compare with the cars coming in off the boats, mixing up a small batch should produce an unfaded, unoxidized duplication of the colors as they appeared when they arrived here years ago. This should be more accurate than trying to match a 30+ -year old ink-on-paper color swatch, or a vehicle that's seen a long life, or an old photograph, or a warm and fuzzy memory. Only a batch of Japanese paint using the factory Japanese codes, tints, and bases would be more accurate...... I don't know if that paint manufacturer is still in business, but it might be worth a try to once and for all find out just what is an original "Band-Aid": shade. With modern computer reproduction, these newly-minted modern-day copies of the old paint, should then be able to be accurately configured in paints and product lines widely available to all of us today. If, however, the resulting sample is something other than "Band-Aid" color, you have the choice to use it, and slowly watch it fade into a "BandAid" hue, however long that may take, or just forge ahead and paint your truck the color you know you really wanted anyway...... Some may cringe at the comparison, but I understand that when they were finished with the restoration of the Sistene Chapel in Rome, some very respected art historians didn't feel comfortable with the bright "new" colors that surfaced after removing centuries of soot and age...... It's your truck--be a historian and freeze a moment in time, or follow your own path. Who's to say what is right or wrong.. ....MS ....P. S. Also further reading shows there never was a color code T number assigned to the Land Cruiser bumpers, grilles, or wheels, although color names are given for them along with formulas......

judging that the book he got it from was a toyota manual and the image you posted is an aftermarket book, I would guess the toyota book is accurate enough:confused:

that is the problem/question. if you look at the color book he shows, there is no date range. if you look at the color chart that has the seminole red on it, the only date range is hand written 67-69. if you go to auto color, it says 68-69? who knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom