fj45 run campsite loaction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

orangefj45

Supporting Vendor
Threads
hi all.
i thought i'd start a new thread so everybody would see it.

i drove up to the event site last friday (well, actually my gf drove me up there cause i have the flu and was'nt really in any shape to drive that far) to check out the camping situation.
long story short, there's no way to get a group this size into the PG&E camp grounds at blue lakes. i talked to the care taker and she informed me that the sites normally fill up by wednesday of thursday and there's absolutely no way to reserve anything. not even a single site.
so i contemplated a couple of alternatives and rove around a little to check out some possible sites. here's a pic of one of them. my gf was a little concerned about her "cruiser' making it ut of there in one piece.
MVC-490S.JPG

that pic was taken at sunset lake which is at the end of a 3 mile dirt road. not a bad location but it's away from the trail and it's only got enough space for 20-30 vehicles. so i think it's not the right site for us.
after talking to a couple of other local cruiser heads it was decided to set up camp at the first water crossing on the deer valley trail itself. there's plenty of room and it's a very scenic location. any 4wd vehicle can make it there without any problems. depending on how many rigs show up, it might get a little tight at that camp ground as well so please try not to spread out too much.
only draw back is that it won't be possible to park the tow rigs and trailers at camp. they'll have to stay at blue lakes.
i'm working on getting some space set aside for our tow rigs. it's a safe location either way and i seriously doubt that we'll have any problems leaving vehicles un-attended for any lenght of time. there's nobody up there but outdoorsmen and wheeling enthusiasts.
one of the guys will be going up on thursday night and will start to set up camp and ensure that we'll be the only group at that site.

DIRECTIONS!!!!!!!

follow hwy 88 east. once you get to kirkwood ski resort, it's exactly another 12 miles on hwy 88 until you get to this turn off to your right after a long down hill desent:
MVC-489S.JPG

stay on the paved road for the next 12 miles until you come to a "T" in the road at the blue lakes camp grounds. take a left. go past the care takers cabin until you see the last cabin. off to the right you'll see a dirt road continuing on. that's the trail. follow it for a couple of miles and you'll be at the creek crossing. pretty simple.
i'll try to get some signs up as well. see you guys there!!!
georg

Alternate route from hwy 88

I was also up there this weekend doing some spelunking using some maps from mapquest and google.
For others doing the same, you'll notice there is an alternate route from hwy 88 (called Forestdale road on Google) http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=52.947994,85.341797&q=blue+lakes,+ca,+highway+88&ie=UTF8&z=13&ll=38.66085,-119.927101&spn=0.103079,0.166683&om=1
but called Blue Lakes road on Mapquest http://map.web.mapquest.com/?e=9&GetMapDataDirect=Gme5diw%2ca%3a9u12%3b%40%24x5%2dzll472%26%3d2nh%2d1x1072%26ub%26qwr5qw%24nu%2dasu672%26ubgg4%24n9r7%7c9%4022u6%2a%3al6t5%26%40%24%3a%26ay%26g0yxu6%24%2e9u1%26ha15u6%24%3a%26ur2u%2da%7c%26yt29%40%24&rnd=3302

The Forestdale Road is a pretty rough dirt road (but doable for stock), but there is really no signage at all from hwy 88 indicating it's existence. If anyone is looking for this road in, once you turn off hwy 88 (right side going NE) and start driving down into the trees I tied a blue ribbon to a tree limb on the left side of road when it turns into dirt (about 100 yds from hwy 88). AFAICT that's Forestdale Road, although there are no road signs (that I saw) indicating this. It will eventually drop you off at the top of Upper Blue Lake at the campsites. However, there are many offshoots to this road, and you might end up somewhere else, so be careful. The way George shows in his pic is the easiest and most direct route in.

You'll have a better time if you go south off of Hwy 88 prior to the junction you indicate. I beleive the sign that I am referring to also says Blue Lake. This road is paved for a few miles then becomes an OHV road. Even an FJ could make the this trail. Heading south you come out at Upper Blue Lake campground.

Continue south along the eastern edge of the lake, past the camps and you'll come to the paved road junction that connects to the road you wrote about.

My route is longer, more dusty, less traveled and more scenic.

My .02

Georg, first off, anyone in Elwood could tell you that DHONDAGOD demonstrated to everyone's satisfaction that there is a lot of Cruiser in the PT when operated by the right person!:eek: [note: also reaffirmed why you should NEVER buy a rental vehicle]

Second, having just read the Dusy thread, brings to mind the thought that we should post the rules regarding how close you can OR CANT put your campsite with regards to the creek [some jurisdictions have different rules than others]

Any word on whether we can have campfires?

Best

Mark A.

FJ40_owner said:
You'll have a better time if you go south off of Hwy 88 prior to the junction you indicate. I beleive the sign that I am referring to also says Blue Lake. This road is paved for a few miles then becomes an OHV road. Even an FJ could make the this trail. Heading south you come out at Upper Blue Lake campground.

Continue south along the eastern edge of the lake, past the camps and you'll come to the paved road junction that connects to the road you wrote about.

My route is longer, more dusty, less traveled and more scenic.

My .02

And you can do some skiing on Forestdale Pass, if you're so inclined!

:)

The turnoff is "Red Lake", a few miles east of Carson Pass. My preferred route as well.

:cool:

surfpig said:
And you can do some skiing on Forestdale Pass, if you're so inclined!

Well I did see some snowboarders up there this weekend, but no skiers.

yes, we are camping at the first crossing coming in from hwy 88. i know that the red lake turn off will take you to the trail as well but i don't need anybody to get lost. that's why i chose to post the directions i did. but i do appreciate everybody's input.

camping is not a problem at that location since it is a recognized camp site. the 100' rule applies to wilderness camping, not to true camp sites. otherwise we could'nt camp at loon, buck, the springs, mud lake, wentworth,...........

therew are some general rules i would like people to follow, although i know that posting these is superfulous in regards to the cruiser community. i just posted these rules on the pbb as well since tg just had a major issue with trail ettiquette at an event they sponsored:

1) please do your absolute best to "tread lightly"

2) treat others the way you want to be treated

3) respect other's property and privacy

4) please keep your dogs on the leash at camp. if you're more than a safe distance away from everybody or any other animal, it's up to you.

orangefj45 said:
yes, we are camping at the first crossing coming in from hwy 88. i know that the red lake turn off will take you to the trail as well but i don't need anybody to get lost. that's why i chose to post the directions i did. but i do appreciate everybody's input.

camping is not a problem at that location since it is a recognized camp site. the 100' rule applies to wilderness camping, not to true camp sites. otherwise we could'nt camp at loon, buck, the springs, mud lake, wentworth,...........

The wife and kid need to know, does this "recognized" camp site have running water and/or restrooms?

Dirty Money said:
The wife and kid need to know, does this "recognized" camp site have running water and/or restrooms?
The campground at Blue Lake has pit toilets and water only and is not located near the stream camps.

You could stay at Sorensons but they are like 200+ a night and probably full this weekend.

The camp you are going to, by the streams... you are on your own.. You should plan on packin' your poo out, and any other trash.

JB

i doubt that you'll get a camp site but you might want to pm teapot and see if he can reserve one for you. he's going up tonight.

Does anyone know where the "last chance" gas station is? I am guessing Kirkwood but don't want to have to back track yet need to have the gas hog as full as posible.

I'll be leaving Sat out of Antioch. Going up 12 to 88 if anyone wants to hook-up. time is flexable

Nocents

Theres a gas station/minimart in Pioneer alot cheaper than Kirkwood. There is also one further up the road on the left next to the OK Coral.

Please save shaded campsites for families with toddlers (Greenfox and PortugueseJoe) and any others that will show up.
Thank you
Joaquin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom