Fj40 transfer case leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all
I've recently bought a '77 fj40 and I'm reasonably inexperienced mechanically (I'm 18) although not a complete idiot.
Anyway I've noticed a small oil leak from the rear of the transfer case which causes an occasional drip from the bottom of the handbrake backing plate (or housing?). I've removed the prop shaft and as I began sliding the brake drum off the shaft, oil began to dribble out. I took this opportunity to drain the oil from the case (through the drain plug) to do an oil change. I then removed the drum completely. My question is simply, is there anything I should know about replacing the TC rear shaft seal before I do it.
Also I noticed that on the end of the output shaft there is a soft piece of rubber moulded to the shape of the spline which is sandwiched between the end of the shaft and where it fits into the handbrake drum... Where can I get this from as it is now broken?

Sorry for the novel and the most likely stupid questions

Hi All:

sebfj40, welcome to the world of old Land Cruisers! :)

Like has been mentioned, the splines on the output shaft wear over time (actually, overly miles!) ;)

Mudrak sells a double-seal housing that seems to do the job to stop this leak at the rear of the t-case. <http://mudrak.org/products.html>

Regards,

Alan

In addition to the speedi-sleeve, it's a good time to put a second seal in the housing, either by buying it from Mudrak or just grinding off the lip and doing yourself (a 1 or 2 banana job at most).

I think it is also recommended to put a small amount of sealer on the splines of the TC shaft where it enters the brake drum just to complete the seal.

Is the "spline shaped" piece of soft silicone type rubber on the end of the shaft, sealer that has set or is it a specially shaped piece I need to buy?
Also is the seal easy to remove?

Thanks guys finally got time to get the parts and do the job. Just need to know how much to torque the big nut on the handbrake drum now... Anyone know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom