FJ40 trailer getting mods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice job Shawn. Are you going to bring you junk to Rubithon next year?

I'd like to. it depends on the wife's family plans for her parents 50th anniv. I'm trying to drag out a few more of my clubs people too. they would totally love that trail!

this trailer was actually build for Rubithon. it's only appropriate I test out all the new nods on it.:D

the real reason for the mods is done! a table for camp life... this is folded up for travel-

attachment.php

this is down for camp-

attachment.php

a quick hook up to the 40 for poser looks-:D

attachment.php

now just a keg under the body for home brewed beer and a tap faucet where the factory fuel fill was...:lol::D

next challenge is how to get this thing with the cruiser to the trail. this was my old method-

attachment.php

the tongue is too long to face it forward. though I can maybe make a brace to secure the tongue up high over the pickup tail gate, triple towing it looks like the best option for short term until I can get a bigger flatbed trailer.

That's what I was going to say, trailer tongue above the 40 hood in the air. May be the only option without drastic mods. :D

-Daniel

yes it would take a bunch of more mods.:D fortunately, I got another club member who will tow it for me for our trip to Hole in the Rock. pics of the new set up in action coming soon! and video too.

and after packing the 40 trailer up, I have space left over...so nice not to have to leave stuff home for space issues.:grinpimp: we'll even have extra wood along.

I believe (if my math is correct) I've got mine to fit on a 16' trailer with the expo trailers tongue out over the tongue of the car hauler tongue. The jack actually rests on the tongue of the flat bed with a special mount. There isn't any extra room however, and I will have to use a winch on the flat bed to get the 40 + expo trailer loaded without running them into each other. Im also considering the tripple tow option if I cant make it work. It will be nice to drive to the trail in comfort, then have both the trail rig and camping gear for a family with you.

hmmm, I don't have a jack on my 40 trailer. I do see how that may work. my real worry is balance. I need the cruiser up farther on the trailer to make enough tongue weight to be safe. my trailer is fairly light. yours will be a bit heavier which will help. for our Hole in the Rock trip I got a couple club members to tow it out and back for me.

meanwhile, some pics-
attachment.php

and the new kitchen/table area- and my wife hates that shirt.:hillbilly:
attachment.php

hmmm, I don't have a jack on my 40 trailer. I do see how that may work. my real worry is balance. I need the cruiser up farther on the trailer to make enough tongue weight to be safe. my trailer is fairly light. yours will be a bit heavier which will help.
True, Its got to balance. My trailer is longer, has a roof, Kitchen, water tank, propane tank, etc. It will be heavier. Have you thought about hanging the trailer tongue out the back of the car hauler? Cool pics BTW. Cant wait till mine is no longer under the knife and I can do that run.

my real problem is my flatbed trailer. the wheel wells get in the way. the FJ40 has full width 1 tons, so it doesn't fit between the wheel wells. I drive over them to load it. but just barely too wide. what I really need is a long goose neck trailer:grinpimp: now just to justify that to the wife after my latest gun purchases...:rolleyes:

BTW, I'm following your trailer build V-Iceburg. that thing will have everything INCLUDING the kitchen sink! I went more with the 'take it anywhere' theme. this 40 trailer has been thru every obstacle on the Rubicon except Little Sluice.

I hope to be able to haul mine "anywhere" as well. However, I think your defenition of anywhere is a bit more extreme than mine. I like to rock crawl but I lean a little more on the exploration side. I have thought about some sliders on the front end to compensate for the additional length. Reguardless, I think its cool that you have made a trailer out of a 40 tub. Its different than the typical AT style with a bunch of tool boxes bolted to a trailer or military trailer. Not too many of us out there. the OEM tailgate and swing down counter top combo is sweet. Makes for a nice food prep area. Love those action shots. It really tells the story.

that was the very trip I was doing these mods for. Steve, that took that video and edited it, does an awesome job with videos. he has a whole slew of them of club runs.

thanks for posting it up, I should have and forgot.:rolleyes:

the trailer got more mods. we've been pressed for space again, so I wanted to put the water underneath instead of 2 7gallon jugs inside. I made the filler in the old fuel fill hole. the output is just a simple hand pump from harbor freight with ball valve shut off, in line. forgot to take pics while building it, so the first outing will have to do.

IMG_1739.JPG

IMG_1740.JPG

IMG_1741.JPG

IMG_1738.JPG

16 gallon tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom