FJ40 Steering wheel Horn button issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

So I've been having issues with the button for my horn. It works inconsistently. Sometimes I press it, it works but other times is stops working or I get a light click from the horn as if its about to beep but not enough power is being sent to it or some contact in the button enclosure is not quite being made.

I took the button apart. There seems to be one hot wire coming to the button though the steering wheel column connected to the back of the button enclosure and a metal plate on the back of the horn button sitting on a spring. It appears when I push the button with the metal plate it is supposed to close some type of circuit between the hot wire and the ground wire contact. However, my ground wire was loosely floating around. Not sure what is should be touching.

No luck trying to ID the steering wheel to search for schematics.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

IMG_5700.jpeg

IMG_5701.jpeg

IMG_5702.jpeg

IMG_5703.jpeg

IMG_5694.jpeg

Hmmm. Not sure, but I would try jettisoning the purple wire and and plug the female of the red spade connector to the male spade where the purple wire is attached. Then I would take a screw driver and use it to try grounding the horn button to see if the horns activate. I assume that you have a horn relay. You could use a multimeter to test for 12v at the relay. Just my 2 cents.

Coolerman describes the whole circuit here, this may give you some hints, I’m in the same boat (4/72 fj40) the horn works fine when I ground it but I can’t get it to work from the button, just have not taken the time to tear into it.

Check to see if your steering column/wheel are grounded. If grounded then the wire coming from the column goes to the center connector on the horn button. The purple wire won't be needed. Your intermittent connection is probable a loose connection/contact between the horn button and the wheel/column.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom