fj40 bike racks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a mountain bike and an Fj40. I want to do a roof rack but I want to see what bike rack and 40 combination.

We’re avid bikers too, having a roof top rack never appealed to me. I found a used hitch mount and love it easy to remove and as secure as any roof mount I’ve ever owned. Just need another tray for the kiddos’ bike.
EBF24014-C371-477F-BD8E-32DA384B53A6.jpeg

I had one on the roof for awhile but got a new roof rack and haven’t had a reason to put the bike rack on it. But I only use the bike on long trailhead shuttles in the desert, if it was an every weekend thing I’d probably get a hitch mount

8CF63041-7F2B-4E00-A90E-8C72F7C8B3C6.jpeg

Last edited:
I had a one on the roof for awhile but got a new roof rack and haven’t had a reason to put the bike rack on it. But I only use the bike on long trailhead shuttles in the desert, if it was an every weekend thing I’d probably get a hitch mount

View attachment 2266993
Do you have a side profile picture of it.

Yakima swing out. Strong.

20200410_155720.jpg

I run a Thule 2 bike rack off the receiver, but with a 4 Plus swing out bumper I had to put and extender on the receiver so it “clears” the basket. Try and get a pic out later, presently packed away.

John in Utah, did switch from a Yakima rack to a Gamiviti?

devo

Yes I did, it’s one of their first prototypes for the 40 but I think the current ones are the same. The Yakima stuff fits ok but you have to use a piece of 1” sprinkler hose as a spacer.

I have Thule towers and crossbars on my 40. The standard 6.5” high towers barely clear the roof where I have them mounted (4’ apart). If you have a pristine roof, I’d recommend taller mounts. Under load the crossbars touch the fibreglass roof. I like the low profile height and I’m not worried about scuffing the paint. I’ve got a custom 3” high basket I built... and in total it raises the truck height by 3” to about 6’8”.

Once you have the crossbars, there are a multitude of bike roof racks that can be mounted. Be sure to use one that has a brace rather than relying on the forks to keep the bike upright. I’ve seen a grown woman cry (well almost) when her road bike flopped over... breaking the end off one side of her carbon fibre fork. Even worse would have been if it damaged the fork and it later failed catastrophically while she was riding.

I couldn’t spot pictures of my rack on my phone, but all the details and pictures are in my built thread linked below (towards the end).

I’ve got a hitch rack I made that I use on both the 40 and the 200. It uses two Yakima bike mounts that I can take off and use on the roof of the 200 when I pull the camper also. It’s been a good setup. A good hitch rack is nice because it can be easily ported between vehicles. This rack has been on my FJ40, 2 Tacomas, a Subaru, a 100, a 200, and an Acura RDX. I only have this pic of it on the 40.

804B92B1-0DA3-471D-968B-A23E81D7BCFF.jpeg

I've got the Yakima Full Swing and it's been great on the FJ Cruiser due to the way the door opens and I'd like to use it on the 40 as well... Any recommendations for hitch receivers from anyone? I also have a full swing out bumper...
Sorry for the hijack. I dig the yakima products though, well built and designed, roof or hitch.

I've got the Yakima Full Swing and it's been great on the FJ Cruiser due to the way the door opens and I'd like to use it on the 40 as well... Any recommendations for hitch receivers from anyone? I also have a full swing out bumper...
Sorry for the hijack. I dig the yakima products though, well built and designed, roof or hitch.

I have the same rack. I cannot fully open the right ambulance door with the rack installed. The door hits the horizontal rack structure. See post #7.

I’m still tweaking this, but it works great for a single bike. Currently set up for my son’s bike but could easily work for a adult bike.
2D86520D-F5EE-4076-8B02-0DE03A7DCCE0.jpeg

In the past I just let the wheels ride on top of the tub and used a titan strap to secure it to the roll cage/jack. I had some old Yakima wheel chucks(?), so I set those up for some more security. This set up puts two bikes on the hitch rack and a third out of the way. One word of caution- a full-size bike is likely to hit the garage.
2FA28959-D384-46F6-AD3D-AB3C7AA7D650.jpeg
57FCEA00-86AB-4041-B079-049B880EFFC2.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom