FJ40/55 Steering Wheel Interchangeable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings Guys,

Does anyone know if a 1972 ish FJ40 steering wheel will fit a 1969 FJ55 steering column?

thank you.

Well, this is what I know.

I have a Feb of 71 FJ40 and upgraded to newer steering wheel and column from 78 FJ40.

I also have an tittled 69 FJ that was built in April 68 FJ40, and I tried to put the 71 steering wheel on it and it did not fit.

There seems there was a change from 36 to 33 spline somewhere between 4/68 and 2/71.

Thanks
Ernie

Last edited:
Greetings Guys,

Does anyone know if a 1972 ish FJ40 steering wheel will fit a 1969 FJ55 steering column?

thank you.

FJ40 is the easy part. 7/69 the spline count changed from thirty six to thirty three. Count the spines on you FJ55 and see what you have. I show a column change 8/69 on the FJ55. But show a steering wheel change 11/69. If the count on the column changed the steering wheel would have changed at the same time. Of course this info only goes back to 3/69.

Would be helpful if you counted your splines and reported back the number and the production date of your FJ55.

Well, this is what I know.
I have a Feb of 71 FJ40 and upgraded to newer steering wheel and colimn from 78 FJ40.
I also have an tittled 69 FJ that was built in April 68 FJ40, and I tried to put the 71 steering wheel on it and it did not fit.

There seems there was a change from 33 to 36 spline somewhere between 4/68 and 2/71.

Thanks
Ernie
Thanks for taking the time for some quality feedback good sir.

FJ40 is the easy part. 7/69 the spline count changed from thirty six to thirty three. Count the spines on you FJ55 and see what you have. I show a column change 8/69 on the FJ55. But show a steering wheel change 11/69. If the count on the column changed the steering wheel would have changed at the same time. Of course this info only goes back to 3/69.

Would be helpful if you counted your splines and reported back the number and the production date of your FJ55.
I counted 36 splines. I’ll check production date tomorrow.
Thank you for your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom