For Sale FJ25/FJ40 Early FST Doors and Door Surrounds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tank5

SILVER Star
Threads
So I don’t have original doors and I don’t even have the doors or door surrounds in possession. What I am offering is a set of reproduction Fj25 or early FST fj40 doors and the door surrounds. Here is the deal.

Working through @Archie 1962 FJ25, five forum members including myself have started the process to have an original set of FJ25/early FST Fj40 doors and door Surounds copied as closely as possible to the originals. To make the purchase possible five members had to go in together to bring the cost down, so the buyer is committing to the purchase so that everyone who has committed gets their set.

I have already paid for the door surrounds in full and the first half of the doors. I have paid 1,079.00 USD so far and now offering to sell for 10% less at 971.00. The buyer will still owe @Archie 1962 FJ25 the other half of the cost of the doors approx. 545.00 USD and shipping. The project is still in the prototype build phase so no pictures yet of the doors but the door surrounds and hardware are pictured below.

The reason I am offering them for sale is because I sold the project these doors would have went on. I will not back out of the commitment because I want to make sure it works out for everyone involved and because I committed to it. If you are interested in buying me out to take my place please send me a PM.

DSC_2728.JPG

DSC_2731.JPG

IMG_1410.JPG

Are these being made in the US or New Zealand? @Cruiser_Nerd had a run of the pieces you currently have done years ago. As I remember the business was not doing anymore because of the pain it was to break the sharp angles. Doors are tricky as compared to the later soft doors they were more three dimensional. Hopefully who ever is doing them has a original set as a pattern? Years ago when Abe in Colorado was looking into making early tops I was going to haul a early FST tub and bows to use as a pattern. Before it ever happened Soft top production moved overseas. He was trying to work with some of the Kayline/Specialty Top employees but that didn't pan out. My problem has never been doors/bows but the actual canvas top. Over fifteen years and counting. Not sure why I haven't throw in the towel a long time ago.

Are these being made in the US or New Zealand? @Cruiser_Nerd had a run of the pieces you currently have done years ago. As I remember the business was not doing anymore because of the pain it was to break the sharp angles. Doors are tricky as compared to the later soft doors they were more three dimensional. Hopefully who ever is doing them has a original set as a pattern? Years ago when Abe in Colorado was looking into making early tops I was going to haul a early FST tub and bows to use as a pattern. Before it ever happened Soft top production moved overseas. He was trying to work with some of the Kayline/Specialty Top employees but that didn't pan out. My problem has never been doors/bows but the actual canvas top. Over fifteen years and counting. Not sure why I haven't throw in the towel a long time ago.
The parts are all being made in New Zealand, Archie 1962 FJ25 is supplying the fabricator with original doors and door sourounds to use as a template. I figured on finding a local shop to build the canvas top when I was ready to do it.

There were so few of these original fj25s and fj40s that I don't see a vendor filling the need for these parts, so custom small lots I feel are the best way to get these pieces made. This forum helps bring those individuals together, so such production runs can be done affordably.

You have been waiting fifteen years now might be a good time to find a vendor or custom shop to make a canvas top for the other members buying doors and parts. A group buy of five or more might make it worth their time to design and build the canvas top.

The parts are all being made in New Zealand, Archie 1962 FJ25 is supplying the fabricator with original doors and door sourounds to use as a template. I figured on finding a local shop to build the canvas top when I was ready to do it.

There were so few of these original fj25s and fj40s that I don't see a vendor filling the need for these parts, so custom small lots I feel are the best way to get these pieces made. This forum helps bring those individuals together, so such production runs can be done affordably.

You have been waiting fifteen years now might be a good time to find a vendor or custom shop to make a canvas top for the other members buying doors and parts. A group buy of five or more might make it worth their time to design and build the canvas top.

Just over four years ago I was ready to take on the project when someone in Oregon said he was going to do it. Two years later the person who had the original top as a pattern posted up all he got back was is old top minus a few missing pieces. Believe Trollhole currently has the top. Last post on process was May last year. Back in 2005 this section was more like a club and some projects happened. Since then many projects failed including four attempts at a group buy on soft tops. Has become more of everyone for themselves.

Just over four years ago I was ready to take on the project when someone in Oregon said he was going to do it. Two years later the person who had the original top as a pattern posted up all he got back was is old top minus a few missing pieces. Believe Trollhole currently has the top. Last post on process was May last year. Back in 2005 this section was more like a club and some projects happened. Since then many projects failed including four attempts at a group buy on soft tops. Has become more of everyone for themselves.

That is too bad the previous attempts to get a top made. It nice to know there is an original canvas out there in the hands of someone with the means to make it happen. Times change and maybe as suggested before if enough members come together and present a group buy to Trollhole he might find enough value to make a top. I say this but I don't have an interest in coordinating such a thing. I think this forum provides the network to make it happen, should someone want to take it on and see it through.

That is too bad the previous attempts to get a top made. It nice to know there is an original canvas out there in the hands of someone with the means to make it happen. Times change and maybe as suggested before if enough members come together and present a group buy to Trollhole he might find enough value to make a top. I say this but I don't have an interest in coordinating such a thing. I think this forum provides the network to make it happen, should someone want to take it on and see it through.

Can't link threads on my phone but believe Marshall is looking into making tops for sale not a group buy. How original I'm not sure, the original tops were very unique. When I was ready to tackle the project I had retired a few months before and a few years until my wife retired. In the Phoenix area were plenty of upholstery shops that do great work at reasonable prices. Things lined up, but not much interest. When the guy said he could do it and PM sent no one seem to care. Two years later and find out the guy was in it to get a top for himself not to make them available for everyone.:meh:

So far my gut feeling is at 100% on projects that will come about. Believe Marshall will end up making the tops at some point but not to original specs. When your doing it as a business you have figure making some profit, overhead, paying people who work for you and have a product priced where people will buy it. I understand that. The original top will not be easy to reproduce and doubt anyone will make them.

someone was looking into reproing the cargo window frames. the only other major issue on the top would be that the rear door and sides were originally held in with 8000 twisties (slight exaggeration). that would be expensive. ocd offered to do mine with them but it was a couple hundred bucks more for just those so i went with zippers instead. he made the top like a later 40 top where sides and rear roll up. when bows are done and i can get it all final mounted, i plan on having a local shop fix it so the side panels, at least, zip completely out. i like that look

Sale Pending

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom