FJ Cruiser Transfer Case - will it fit the GX470? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another thing I am unsure of is that he mentions the t-case being electronic, I thought ours was mechanically actuated not electric. CDL is of course electronic.

In the 4th gen V8 4runner there is no transfer case stick. In order to change from 4hi to 4lo, there is a knob on the dash, hence electronic. The center diff lock is still actuated by a button in both the 4runner and GX as you said

Some interesting reading.

This is another Rock Solid Toys article that has a some more info as well:
Can You Convert Your Full Time 4WD Toyota/Lexus T case To Manual Shift Full Time 4WD?

A comparison of the FJC, 4Runner, GX470, Tacoma, Sequoia, and Tundra transfer cases:

And another bit of info:

Last edited:
I've thought about this swap a good deal actually. I would love to do it one day (if I keep this GX long enough and/or my tcase dies... heh) and the way I would *want* to do it would be the manual FJC case (from behind the FJC auto trans), convert it to forward shift to get the stick to come through near the same spot the GX stick comes through (there's conversion kits for older Toyota cases, should be able to do it with these ones as well, but not sure--something that needs figured out still. I'm thinking might be possible just with the forward shift parts from the GX case), and then convert the front axle to manual hubs. There's a couple different "kits" available from a couple different guys on the TacomaWorld forums that were created for the 2nd Gen Tacoma and they'll fit right up to the GX. And actually these kits are just using the old 1st Gen Tacoma manual hubs stuff and either a custom outer "bell" end joint of the CV that accepts the standard 1st Gen Tacoma middle shaft of the CV; or a custom middle shaft of the CV that will fit up to the 1st Gen Tacoma outer "bell" end shaft of the CV and the inner section of the GX. I think this all *should* be possible. (and then need to resize the driveshafts of course)

Who knows how well it would all hold up to the GX HP and torque though. I think the FJC case would be totally fine, but who knows about the manual hubs stuff. Could always do cromolly front shafts and hub lock-outs. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom