FJ-60 hood strut conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.badlandsexpeditions.wordpress.com
I purchased a hood strut conversion kit from Amazonia 4x4 - Parts & Acc. for Sale

My hood latch broke years ago and I use hood pins to hold down the hood. Now there is no fighting lifting the hood. I attached a pull strap on the hood latch so I just pull the hood down from the center.

DSCN6953

IMG_20180429_154752569.jpg

IMG_20180429_160945581.jpg

IMG_20180429_160951028_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180429_161005451_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180501_105829447.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Mike,
Nice work, thinking about buying a set of these from Amazona, any idea what strength they are in lifting Lbs?
I assume they are still working 😜

Thanks

I don't mind having to lift the hood....I think the bigger advantage here is you can remove the original hood springs which clean up that area of the engine bay just a little more.

Hi,
I agree, although I don't have the springs on mine, just the hinges and support rod?
I have a JDM HJ61, I think its a good mod to do, keep the support rod and you can always use it when the struts fail 😜

Hi Mike,
Nice work, thinking about buying a set of these from Amazona, any idea what strength they are in lifting Lbs?
I assume they are still working 😜

Thanks
They work great. I don't know what the strut rating is.

I researched the old thread a bit and the reid supply numbers didn't seem to work anymore. However further into the thread a mcmaster Carr # is referenced which still works :McMaster-Carr look for extended length ~17" compressed ~11". available in multiple weight ratings. and about $18 each.

The rating from the other thread was 90-120#. Not sure how the Ammazona mounting points compare....if the bottom mount is closer to the base of the hood then you will likely need more strength due to the leverage.

Thank you very much, I will check these out 👍

I researched the old thread a bit and the reid supply numbers didn't seem to work anymore. However further into the thread a mcmaster Carr # is referenced which still works :McMaster-Carr look for extended length ~17" compressed ~11". available in multiple weight ratings. and about $18 each.

The rating from the other thread was 90-120#. Not sure how the Ammazona mounting points compare....if the bottom mount is closer to the base of the hood then you will likely need more strength due to the leverage.

Checked out McMaster's, they don't ship to Ireland. Not to worry, I believe Amazonia do. Thank you for your help and research.

I saved this from another thread from a month or so ago. My sincere apologies to the member who wrote it up. I do not recall who it was, but all the credit goes to him. I've attached the file with pictures as well.

Hood Strut installation

Remove both hinges. 5 bolts each. 12mm, M8-1.25. I put the two back in the hood and the two forward bolts as well. Leave the rear most hole open.

Purchase (I used Amazon):

4 Pack 10MM Ball Studs - 3/8" Thread x 1/2" Long Shank Dark Bronze for Gas Lift Support Strut Fitting Hatchlift Gas Springs - 20" Length x 90 lb Force with 10 mm Ends. (508mm x 0396N)

M8 x 1.25 tap and bit set from home Depot. Install one ball stud in the rear most hinge bolt hole.

Push the other end of the strut up to the hood. It will hit the hood about 3⁄4” above a factory hole. This is where you will drill and tap a new hole. Be VERY careful not to push too hard and dent the hood. Use a bit collar or a bunch of tape.

Install the other ball stud and attach the strut.

It will feel stiff at first, but once you are used to it, it is awesome.

Attachments

• Hood strut install.pdf
    199.1 KB · Views: 181
@GS 60 I looked at the Amazonia kit and it seemed like a lot of money for off the shelf parts.

Never used this page but lots of product and FAQ says they ship internationally.

Custom Search: Find Lift Support Parts | LiftSupportsDepot.com
I saved this from another thread from a month or so ago. My sincere apologies to the member who wrote it up. I do not recall who it was, but all the credit goes to him. I've attached the file with pictures as well.

Hood Strut installation

Remove both hinges. 5 bolts each. 12mm, M8-1.25. I put the two back in the hood and the two forward bolts as well. Leave the rear most hole open.

Purchase (I used Amazon):

4 Pack 10MM Ball Studs - 3/8" Thread x 1/2" Long Shank Dark Bronze for Gas Lift Support Strut Fitting Hatchlift Gas Springs - 20" Length x 90 lb Force with 10 mm Ends. (508mm x 0396N)

M8 x 1.25 tap and bit set from home Depot. Install one ball stud in the rear most hinge bolt hole.

Push the other end of the strut up to the hood. It will hit the hood about 3⁄4” above a factory hole. This is where you will drill and tap a new hole. Be VERY careful not to push too hard and dent the hood. Use a bit collar or a bunch of tape.

Install the other ball stud and attach the strut.

It will feel stiff at first, but once you are used to it, it is awesome.

Many thanks for the feedback. I agree that's a lot of money for what is a basic strut with ball studs, and that's before shipping.
Quick question, the link that 86aggie attached quotes 20inch struts, don't know what compressed length is?
Seth has advised 17in with 11in compressed length. Any views on which would be right for an 88 HJ61?
Thanks

I welcome others to weigh in after looking at the two methods, but in comparing the two sets of instructions, it looks like each method uses different mounting points. The instructions I furnished has the top of the springs angled up and to the front while the ones Seth S provided has the struts angled to the rear, when the hood is up. Clearly, both methods work.

They work great. I don't know what the strut rating is.
I welcome others to weigh in after looking at the two methods, but in comparing the two sets of instructions, it looks like each method uses different mounting points. The instructions I furnished has the top of the springs angled up and to the front while the ones Seth S provided has the struts angled to the rear, when the hood is up. Clearly, both methods work.
The 17/11 measurements came from the other thread. Hood shock conversion writeup (with pics)

Thanks Guys,
Much appreciate your inputs, I went with the these . I will let you know how I get on with fitted.

Thanks again,

Last edited:
Did you also order the ball kit or do those come with a set?

I ordered these separate, same supplier. Don't come with washers, might put some on depending on fit?

👍

Yes, depending on which holes you use you might want washers. Depends on whether you are able to use a thicker preexisting threaded hole or if its going into a sheet metal hole.

I was looking under my hood yesterday and looking at the various mounting holes available. I think the better way to do this is as a kit is to make up some brackets that attach too the hood and to the body and mount in a couple of holes so as to distribute any load. I look forward to seeing your results and maybe I'll have some of my own by then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom