Fj-40 Life Changing Upgrades... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,
Please read for your benefit. In the last 6 months I installed Ausie lockers front and rear, flipped the rear leaf springs, re centered rear fenders, installed a set of custom shackles which lowered my truck about 2 inches,Suburban shocks, cut the original fuel line as close to fuel pump as possible creating better flow, set valve lash, installed new distributor cap and rotor, new spark plugs and put the alternator, power steering, and engine all on the same pully. These simple upgrades made driving my 40 so much more fun and enjoyable. I am running 33's and can literally go just about anywhere. I am following guys around in Jeeps with 37's. The aussie lockers have finally broken in and with the flipped rear leaf spring it is very difficult to tell there is a locker in the axle and road driving is great. Getting the power steering, engine, and alternator on the same belt was a major upgrade, it is much more quiet and steering feels much stronger. I was having some squeel with the power steering belt but no longer. The increased performance i am seeing from a good old fashioned tune up has really improved on road driving with the rear locker. Before the tune up cornering in parking lots could be a bit annoying and clunky but with the 2f purring away my locker is locking and unlocking much more smoothly and if i want to i can just step on the gas and spin the back end around without any engine lugging. Lockers have not only improved offroad performance but i feel much safer off road especially when in harry situations. I had wanted to step up in tire size from 33 but with lockers, flpped rear springs, and power steering I feel like i can go anywhere that I really need too.. i dont mind body damage... this set up is also perfect for the highway. I hope this read can help anyone looking for some simple upgrades that will really improve your cruisers handling and performance.

fj.JPG

i’ve been wondering about an aussie up front. i have an arb in the back but i have a diff with an almost new aussie in it sitting in my shop. ill be doing a fair amount of road driving to and from trails but can keep the front hubs unlocked. my only worries is winter driving when i do drive in 4 wheel on the roads. anyone have experience with winter roads and front aussie locker or similar?

I’ve only ever had open diffs, and it will go almost anywhere with 33s and near perfect weight distribution. With lockers it could go the last 5% of the places.

On my rig, I’d run the Ausie in the rear, and ARB in the front. I’ve read to much about loss of steering in icy conditions to want it the other way. Any first hand experience?

when arb is locked up front it will really affect steering because it’s truely locked. i would assume you have a little better with the as it still allows different tire speeds

i’ve been wondering about an aussie up front. i have an arb in the back but i have a diff with an almost new aussie in it sitting in my shop. ill be doing a fair amount of road driving to and from trails but can keep the front hubs unlocked. my only worries is winter driving when i do drive in 4 wheel on the roads. anyone have experience with winter roads and front aussie locker or similar?

I can not comment as we do not see much ice or snow in SC. I would feel pretty good slow rolling in 2x4 with the locker though. On accident I left one hub open while in 4 low. and it created a very nice open type front diff with the locket engaging while the steering was strait.

I’ve only ever had open diffs, and it will go almost anywhere with 33s and near perfect weight distribution. With lockers it could go the last 5% of the places.

On my rig, I’d run the Ausie in the rear, and ARB in the front. I’ve read to much about loss of steering in icy conditions to want it the other way. Any first hand experience?

That 5% quickly becomes 55%. It’s not always about what the rig can get through, but what can it pull out of places.

What would be wrong with running ARB’s both front and back other than the cost?

I think that would be a very good setup to run. Personally I like the simplicity of the Aussie.
You don’t need to worry about air compressor, air lines, etc...

when arb is locked up front it will really affect steering because it’s truely locked. i would assume you have a little better with the as it still allows different tire speeds

It really does not seem to unlock in the front when in 4 wheel drive unless a hub is open. You can’t drive on pavement in 4x4 with both hubs Locked. Almost impossible

cheers. that’s good to know. ill stick with my plan of doing arb up front then. i thought it might give a good combination of locker but better steering. if that’s not the case then i’ll might as well do a selectable locker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom