Fix local rust spots (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have localized rust spots and I'd like to fix and respray each spot and keep original paint every where else. Every painter says I have to do the whole panel to match. By that time it becomes all the panels needing a respray. Has anyone had success at doing localized paint matching after fixing rust spots? I'm assuming no but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
Mike

There are touch up painters who specialize in just that. Many of them will come right to you.

In my opinion, if the spots are bigger than fingertip size and there are many of them, i would paint the whole panel. Those spots will show up even if done by professional and bigger ones will look bad even from distance.
If you plan on using a professional i would think its not going to cost too much more to paint the whole panel rather than spots here and there.

Painting whole panels escalates to full resto if I do whole panels per small rust spot. I'll try first to find person who specializes in this then.

Thanks for info!

Mike

I'm in the same boat. Please post before and after pictures if you find someone. Good luck!

The touch up guys don't usually do "body work" but they do things like door dings and bumper painting and just paint chips in general. Almost everywhere has a paintless dent repair guy, he will know who to call when paint is needed. Also any car dealership has a guy to call to touch up cars on the lot. Unless the dealership has a bodyshop (not all of them do now).

I have localized rust spots and I'd like to fix and respray each spot and keep original paint every where else. Every painter says I have to do the whole panel to match. By that time it becomes all the panels needing a respray. Has anyone had success at doing localized paint matching after fixing rust spots? I'm assuming no but I thought I'd ask.
Thanks,
Mike

Of course you can do that but you'll have to do it yourself. You won't find any in business place to do work that way.

Of course you can do that but you'll have to do it yourself. You won't find any in business place to do work that way.

I'm not sure you couldn't find a place to do it. But if you did my guess is it won't be cheap. Plan on paying more then just having the whole panel painted. Harder to blend original paint then just cover over it. If the cruiser already has a patina finish doing it yourself might blend okay. Mine still has really good original paint that the original owner installed a aux. gas tank with hole cut for the fill in the passenger's rear quarter panel and hole in the rear sill for a trailer light plug. This seemed to be a popular thing to do in in the late sixties and early seventies on the FJ40s. Besides my 70 in my avatar my 68 had the same two holes cut.:bang: Figure I can experiment on 68 as the best way to fill the holes with destroying the least paint (been repainted). Then give it a shot on the 70. Advantage is the early FJ40s were single stage paint and pre clear coat. My guess dealing with clear coat would bring it to a whole new level.

I found some local conpanies but yes probably wont do the rust just the matching. I'll have to have the rust done separately.

Depends on what you want the final product to look like, but you can tape the whole panel that has spots being painted and allow enough room for overspray. You can then buff out the overspray and match it in a little closer than if you tape off just the spots. It won't look perfect but it'll look OK until you want to spring for a full paint job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom