First time owner AC question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How does one test the compressor?
That is a good question. I had mine off the rig. I applied power to the clutch to make sure that it engaged properly. I had the top off to replace the seal (part of o-ring kit) and everything looked OK (no rust / pitting). I put it back together and I simply put my finger over the outlet and rotated the pump. It seemed to push air and so I went with it. I figured the only thing I was risking if it was bad was the time to take on / off the compressor and a couple of cans of R134a.

I'm betting there is a better way to actually test the compressor. Someone here will probably chime in?

If it were me, here's what I would do with a new-to-me-rig in which the AC doesn't work. In fact, I was in the exact same boat when I bought my '93.

Just because the guy you got it from says the compressor is bad doesn't make it so. If it is low on refrigerant (leak or just low), it will not click on. I would test the compressor before blindly replacing it.

For me, even though it came with R12, I'd recharge with R134a. It is cheap and easy to find. I used R134a in my '93 and have been happy with it. Seems to get very cold but I don't live in AZ either.

Replace all the O-rings. Again, cheap and easy. I use Nylog blue on all fittings / O-rings (as suggested by someone here). Seems like good stuff.

I'd replace the expansion valve. Again, cheap and now is the time to do it since you are opening up the system. Also gives you a chance to clean the evap unit which is undoubtedly in desperate need of cleaning.

And of course the dryer gets replaced.

All the tools you'll need can be "rented" (i.e. borrowed for free) from the auto parts store. You can get the AC manifold and a vacuum pump. Also, the parts are all available on Rockauto for a reasonable price.

Good luck. There are lots of threads here on AC, so do some research here. I have repaired both my '93 and '95 and they both work great. And I had never worked on AC before doing the '93.
Hey mate, I’m in Australia
So I’m not sure if or how different it may be.

but I’m after the location of the Ac compressors parts number/ or I’d number.

I can see the letter “A” and the number 17, but not sure if that is the whole number
Or part of.

many assistance would be appreciated

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom