Finally, a part of the club. Newly Purchased 1978 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great rig, Congrats !

:cheers:

Nice work!

To move the seat back, the easiest way without modding your truck is to flip the brackets that hold the drivers seat 180 degrees.
As far as a booster, @Racer65 sells a very nice new one that will bolt up with little issue. Regarding the power steering, the easiest is the electric also from racer65, and it runs just under 2k. Then you have the Toyota mini truck option which @orangefj45 sells a nice kit for. About 6-8 hundred, plus install if you need someone else to do it. Then theres Saginaw and or FJ60. These last two options will give you better steering control and feel with a lot less slop and maintenence.

Do some searching around here on the forum and you will find lots of good info on these topics.

Welcome to the insanity! :flipoff2:

thank you for all that info. ;)

Please list the most "frowned upon" mistakes associated with this site. I was going to post pics of our restomod '78 in the Philippines but do not want to get called out for making mistakes offensive to the members. Maybe I better wait awhile until I learn all the rules of the site. Thanks for the heads up. Hope to join but not look too stupid.

An FJ is a FJ Cruiser which should not be called a Land Cruiser. A Land Cruiser should be called by its designation, such as fj40, fj45, fj 60 etc.
Also make sure your bezel has the fat side up. And don't worry about looking stupid. I've done that many times. And we all loves lots of pictures.

Can I call my FJ40 red or do I have to call it freeborn red? Just asking.;)

Depends on who you're talking too, better keep it Freeborn red for the Mudders.....just sayin, it's about your personal safety.

Depends on who you're talking too, better keep it Freeborn red for the Mudders.....just sayin, it's about your personal safety.

And never, ever, ever call it a jeep, even though the J in FJ stands for jeep.... apparently.

What do you say to the guy that says "your FJ is a really cool j**p and I love that it's red"?o_O

i saw that on eBay, i am in oregon too. i am curious as to how long the third owner owned the vehicle. over the last 2 yrs or so, i have seen several 40 for sale on eBay, and craigslist with very similar pictures and backgrounds. all from the same area. nice 40, congrats.

welcome to mud. i am in bend, if you ever make it over this way in her, give me a shout. buy you a beer and chat about these dinosaurs we all love.

Thanks for the ideas for the seat and brake booster.

Yeah, I happened to see his ad by mistake while searching on Search Tempest. I had done for the past 5 or so years 3-4 times a week. It's a search engine tool that searches CL, Ebay, etc... and you set the distance from you. Once I found out he was local I emailed him, asked his reserve (35k). It did come with quite a few extras. He told me he would cancel auction if I gave him what he was asking. Went over and saw it that night, gave a deposit and since his auction wasn't at the reserve yet he could still pull it. As we were driving away the first night, I checked the auction and it was cancelled. He said he had 8 people messaging him and wondering where it went. The Ebay auction was at 30k with 4 days left and 28 or 30 bids, crazy. I think he sort of regretted telling me he would pull the auction when he saw all the action on it, but he was a man of is word and I can respect that. There's been some touch ups and small repaints, but it hasn't been restored. Pics to follow.

View attachment 1483051 View attachment 1483056 View attachment 1483057 View attachment 1483059

Congratulations! We saw your Cruiser on eBay and wondered what happened to it. We found our two owner Freeborn Red on Craig's List in late May. Wife had been looking for several months for her 65th birthday present. "Miss Scarlet" as the wife named her is similar to your truck in many respects. The guy thought he knew what he had but under priced it not knowing what a virtually rust free original was really worth. Miss Scarlet has her debut at the local car show on July 1st. We'll post photographs of her coming out. Can't wait to see your photographs.

With all the extras you have, you have a real keeper. Just be ready to be honked at, waved at and stopped by drooling zombies. We've already had two people want to know what we would sell it for. I really wanted a Cruiser that we could scrape and maybe dent without crying or calling the insurance agent.

Nice 40! Looks like it was worth the 5 year wait. Enjoy it! :cool:

UPDATES:

Been a busy couple of months. So far I have changed hood latches, windshield latches, rubber windshield pads, mirrors, reflectors. Replaced clutch, had transmission removed all gaskets replaced trans cleaned and serviced. Rear main was leaking bad, so ended up doing more stuff since it was apart. Wasn't told about it, either... Replaced out put shaft seal, rebuilt both front wheels, New brakes, rotors, calipers, rebuilt ebrake, fuel filters, tie rod, master cylinder (was leaking), booster, clutch slave cylinder (was leaking), tightened steering box. That made a huge difference.

Just got it back from replacing all weather stripping around doors, chrome window runs, channel felt, striker plates for door locks. So besides that stuff...it's good now.

Overall happy with it, I definitely feel like the guy knew a lot he didn't share with me, which is unfortunate. The doors have some rot along the bottom, but it was under the old weather stripping and didn't detect it before purchase. I guess meticulously maintained has different meanings for different people. I have a feeling the guy just tinkered with it to flip it, but it needed a professional. There were a lot of things that needed attention. It drives much better now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom