Feedback wanted on potential purchase (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Current Situation:
I have a 2013 LX570 with 145k, wife has a 2018 Volvo XC90 36k miles. She works from home and clearly drives ~6k miles/year, and wants something bigger, namely a Sequoia, but prices are insane, and i just don’t want to spend 80k on a vehicle. Also, in the 6+ years of Volvo ownership we just recently encountered our first non-maintenance out of warranty repair (Done at the Volvo/Porsche dealership of Jackson). Hoping more aren’t on the way.

The family (4 of us) takes the LX on every road trip we have thus pushing my annual mileage to 15k/year or so. Both cars are paid off.

I found a one owner 2016 LX570 in Oklahoma, 91k miles, with every service done at the Lexus of Tulsa dealership (per the Lexus service records i pulled through their system), for what seems to be a good value. I’ll link the listing below.

Scenario A: Sell the wife’s Volvo for ~25k, pay cash for the difference, and she’ll drive the 16 LX for 3-4 years until the used inventory of Sequoias can bring prices down somewhat, at which point I’ll upgrade from the 13 to the 16 and sell my 13.

Scenario B: (Wife is on board with this, as well): I’ve got a buyer for my LX for around 31k, pay cash for the difference, and my daily driver and the family travel vehicle gets upgraded to a 2016 picking up 55k miles (but downgrading the infotainment and the 21” wheels imo), and then in 3-4 years just trade her Volvo in for a Sequoia, and hope we don’t have any more Volvo repairs.

Scenario C: Do nothing, and keeping putting money away for the Sequoia in 3-4 years.

Scenario A costs the most, but it seems like it makes more sense than B. I don’t “need” to upgrade, but finding a value play like that isn’t the worst upgrade in the world.

Here’s the unit: 2016 Lexus LX 570 Sport Utility - https://eastulsa.com/vdp/20784045/Used-2016-Lexus-LX-570-Sport-Utility-for-sale-in-Tulsa-OK-74107

I imagine i would just have Lemon Squad do an onsite inspection and then have it transported if we did follow through on the purchase.

Thanks for reading,

Agree with @fountainhead unless you see a need, but in 4 years trade/sell the low mileage volvo, buy sequoia and keep rocking the 13. Even at 190k it will still be more reliable and probably worth more than the low mileage volvo.

May I propose option D
Keep the 13 sell the Volvo while it’s worth $25kish and buy an inexpensive driver for your wife while you continue to save and wait for a Sequoia. Depending on what inexpensive driver you get for your wife you will be able to sell it for pretty close to what you purchased it for. Even if you lose a little you got 3-4 years of use out of it and the loss would still be less than an unexpected repair on an aging Volvo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom