Fan Clutch Damaged? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, my not so great mechanic didn't bolt down the fan after a long job of replacing starter, water pump, radiator, idler and tensioner, sending the fan into my new radiator. They replaced radiator and fan after that mishap.

I just noticed that my fan clutch is damaged (outer fins). I'm away from home. Wondering if I should be concerned or should be okay to drive back home. I will have the mechanic replace it once I get home.

Is there a way to test the fan clutch for normal operation? I did drive 4 hours up here with no issues and the damage looks mainly cosmetic, but still concerning. I'm assuming when the fan came off the clutch, hit the radiator, it also damaged the fins on the clutch.

IMG_1741.JPG

I think you are OK to drive it home. I would replace it with a Asisin (same as OEM) clutch. The one on there is a aftermarket fan clutch.

Thanks, ordered the Aisin yesterday. How can you tell the clutch is aftermarket?

Also, does anyone know if the fan clutch can be installed without removing the radiator?

You don’t have to pull the radiator to replace the fan clutch.

The Aisin which is the OEM provider for fan clutches has a blue painted base where it bolts on to the fan bracket.

I see, thanks for the info. Hopefully will be a quick fix then.

The Aisin which is the OEM provider for fan clutches has a blue painted base where it bolts on to the fan bracket.

No blue base on mine - looks just like the pic @mripper posted:

LC200FanClutch_20JUN18_zpsioccsz02.jpg

It's the original, so definitely not aftermarket.

HTH

he may be an 80 series guy

he may be an 80 series guy

Then why is he accusing shops working on 200 series trucks of using aftermarket parts?

If you don't know, don't post! It's hard enough fishing through all the posts for useful info without having to try to determine a poster's bona fides to determine whether it's good info or not.

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Then why is he accusing shops working on 200 series trucks of using aftermarket parts?

If you don't know, don't post! It's hard enough fishing through all the posts for useful info without having to try to determine a poster's bona fides to determine whether it's good info or not.

Just to clarify, the clutch (as far as I know) is the original, I did not have the shop replace it, but it was damaged when I had a bunch of other work done and they forgot to bolt the fan and started the engine; radiator, fan and clutch damaged.

OK OK

I made a mistake!

I was thinking of the 100 series that in fact do have blue mounts on the fan clutches. Which I have recently replaced 2 on both of my both of 100 series LC.

I have not had the pleasure of changing out my fan clutch on my LX 570 on yet.

Please accept my apologies

The bottom line

Yes, IMO it was OK for him to drive home

Non-issue to drive on that, I've seen far worse.

As for colors, AISIN offers clutches in over a half dozen colors including red, blue, green, orange, grey and black. The key becomes knowing which ones offer what improvement over the others while still fitting the fan blade amd water pump or bracket.

Non-issue to drive on that, I've seen far worse.

As for colors, AISIN offers clutches in over a half dozen colors including red, blue, green, orange, grey and black. The key becomes knowing which ones offer what improvement over the others while still fitting the fan blade amd water pump or bracket.

Thanks buddy. Just got the Aisin and it's indeed black, looks identical to the one I'm replacing. Going to replace it tomorrow, if anyone has any shortcut tips would be great. Looks like I just need to unbolt the shroud and should be able to wiggle her out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom