Falken Wildpeaks (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After doing a little research and two bad experiences on snow/ice with the stock tires, I pulled the trigger on 265/65/18 Wildpeaks (5 tires for just under $900 at American Tire Depot). Rims are the 18" F-sport that came on the GX, so can't vouch for how these would fit on the other rims. I had one instance of rubbing after installing these while getting into a tight parking spot. Took the heat gun to the known fender-liner bolt and pushed it in and didn't have any issues rubbing after. So far I have put about 800 miles, maybe more on them, including a couple road trips up to Mammoth Lakes and some use in snow and ice. The braking performance in snow is much, much better than the stock tires, which I had found to be close to useless. I chose the Falkens partly for the user ratings on snow and ice, and so far am happy with the choice. Road noise isn't bad at all - my wife who is pretty sensitive to that kind of thing feels they don't add any noise. That said, on some of the stretches of US395 that might be a more aggregate surface, I can hear them a little. On the interstate and roads around San Diego though, they are not noticeably noisy compared to stock from what I can tell. These will get some off road use next month in Anza Borrego, so I will update if I have anything to add.

Since you purchased 5 tires, were you able to fit the 5th under the GX?

I haven’t checked falkens website but your 265/65 are p-metric, right?

Since you purchased 5 tires, were you able to fit the 5th under the GX?

I haven’t checked falkens website but your 265/65 are p-metric, right?

Yes the fifth tire is in the undercarriage location.

"p-metric"? No idea what that means.

On the side of the tire, does the tire size have an “LT” in front of it? If not it’s a passenger tire - also known as a p-metric.

I have the same tires in 265/70/17 E-range and they have been great. Very little road noise especially in the well-insulated Lexus interior. Much better in the snow compared to the Michelin Defenders I had on before.

Good aggressive looking tire. Is there tire sipping (slices in the tire) to help with icy conditions too? I know my BFG M/T's are not the best on ice, but great on snow, mud, sand and just about everything else.
Also, how many miles do you (or what what other people say) expect to get out of them?

I tried to order these but they were on backorder back in early December. I went with the General AT/2s but will probably try these next time. No complaints on the General's either for the time being.

Can you please take a picture of the spare? I would like to see how low it hangs, thanks!

Thanks for the report. Would you mind posting some pics of your GX? I would like to see the taller tires combined with the F Sport wheels.

I too would appreciate some more pics if you have a chance. I am looking to go with this exact tire on my 2011. I'm surprised you had rubbing with the 265/65s. I've only heard of rubbing when going larger than that.

Hi, sorry it took a while to get back to this. Here are some more pics. I took the requested pics of the spare from both the rear and front, note that the car is pointed slightly downhill at the entrance to my driveway, so there is a good shot of the spare from the rear, but it makes it look like it protrudes more than it actually does. I also took a couple profile pics. Still happy with these tires, been on a lot of trips into the Sierra and they've seen a lot of snow and ice, and they do pretty good. Will take them to the desert next weekend and will update here if anything to report (It has been such a good year for snow I just haven't gotten to the desert yet...)

Hi - the sliders are the Rocky Road kick-out sliders with a full cover. They are bolt on. I just installed them last weekend so while I like the look and form of them, I haven't been off road with them yet.

Would be good to hear your experience and thoughts on the Wildpeaks.

Good aggressive looking tire. Is there tire sipping (slices in the tire) to help with icy conditions too? I know my BFG M/T's are not the best on ice, but great on snow, mud, sand and just about everything else.
Also, how many miles do you (or what what other people say) expect to get out of them?

Somehow I missed this - sorry for the later response. Yes, the tires do have sipes. So far I have been happy with snow/ice performance, but I only have the stock tires to compare to - so take that for what it is worth. I don't really have any specific expectation of how long they will last.

Nice shot, the F Sport wheels look great, all-in-all a good looking balance of up-scale and off road. I'd bet the GX460 product managers have discussed a special edition that would look very similar.

Getting Falkens installed tomorrow. Which rack is that? Is there much road noise from it at highway speeds?

I'll butt in here,,
I have the exact rack on my GX
It's the Front Runner SlimLine rack.
I've installed the Slimline rack on 5 diffrent trucks since 2006 and have always been impressed with quality and capacity to weight ratio.
All aluminum construction with exception to the perimeter rails
I just bought a 2016 GX460 Saturday (Traded my 08 GX470) Took the rack off my 470, installed it on the 460 and the noise is much less than it was on the 470. Almost negligeble.
It was really noisy on the 470 and I'm very pleased with it on the 460. Is it perfectly quiet,, No. but it's not annoying like it was on the 470.

Nice! Was told the Falkens should be in stock this month. I am switching out from 18x9 w/ K02 to 17x9 with Wildpeaks. Nice rack too. Funny as I'm in Mammoth every week from LA from Nov to May...then about twice a month. I've tried lots of tires in the of tires in the snow/ice and looking forward to trying the wildpeaks. K02's generally are great, though I did get stuck once this winter in a little over two feet of unplowed snow and had the snow removal guy pull me out of the rut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom