Falken AT3 - Any Proof the Compound Was Changed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have seen conjecture on this forum that Falken changed the compound on the AT3W’s but cannot find any proof elsewhere online.

I am thinking about these or the Toyo ATIII’s. Both receive an equal amount of positive praise.

I have seen conjecture on this forum that Falken changed the compound on the AT3W’s but cannot find any proof elsewhere online.
The only proof would be via lab analysis of the tread compounds.

I reached out to Falken a few weeks back since I was between them and the Toyo ATIII's. I could not get a straight answer so I decided to go with the ATIII's.

I was in the tire shop this AM for change over for my sons car. huge Falken dealer, owner said unaware of compound change that would negatively effect performance.

I was in the tire shop this AM for change over for my sons car. huge Falken dealer, owner said unaware of compound change that would negatively effect performance.

Alyeska Tire?

I miss Alaska so much..... 😞

The information regarding a rubber compound change for the Falken AT3W was attributed to Joe Bacal, in another Mud thread.
He apparently was comparing the Falken to the Tokyo AT3, which he recommended over the Falken.
Joe Bacal mentions in his AT3 video that he has been employed by Toyo to aid in tire testing and development of the AT3.
I have been unable to confirm the information about Falken rubber compound change, and if true would prefer to hear it from someone not employed by a competitor.
Full disclosure: my ‘21 LC sits on stock Dunlop’s, I am researching tires for it now, I have never purchased either brand, and I am not employed in the tire or auto industry.

Ok, let me clear this up for anyone that wants to know how I came to the conclusion on testing the Falken AT3W and the changes I found. First off, I am not employed by Toyo but a consultant and development test driver that was hired to help improve and develop the Toyo ATIII. I can tell you that if anyone asked me what the best ideal AT tire to purchase I would 100% say the Falken AT3W. Well I did ....I also have zero connections with Falken. Anyway, I will explain how we figured out we knew something was off. I was testing at a proving ground the new prototype Toyo AT3 against 7 competitors in the same class. I was shocked when the Falken was performing poorly knowing I tested the exact same tire in the exact same place on the exact same surfaces and speeds 1 year previosly. This instantly threw up a red flag for me. I could not understand what the heck was going on. I asked Toyo if I could test the same set from snow test from the previous year that was in storage (snow test tires get zero wear) to do a back to back 1 year apart same spec. I knew the older spec was extremely good and had to see if I could feel a difference with the spec I was currently testing at the track. Sure enough I was like " this is crazy, not even close to each other when they should be basically the same" We at that point did an investigation. Can't get into the rest but my subjective and objective data is pretty clear. You will not hear any dealer or Falken rep say they changed a thing? Happens all of the time .... yep this would be Joe ....

Never ran falkens dad got may miles out the Toyo at2 .. so I put at3’s on my 2500 an lx an love them

Toyo at3 on 2015 Chevy diesel an lx570 .. like 1,300 miles on lx with tires. 7,500 on 2500 still look new and have been towing alot

95A15510-F1A4-4619-B35C-70382CF06DF3.jpeg

397AAEDC-B19F-4DC7-999F-32452AD8F38D.jpeg

I am thinking about these or the Toyo ATIII’s. Both receive an equal amount of positive praise.
NO, it was not changed. I just got off the phone with the tech department and they confirm no changes. Joe "can't get into thebrest" well if you are going to say something was changed, while consulting for Toyo, and now backtrack I would say you are not to be trusted. Falken is the better tire 100%.

Switched from a 31" Patagonia AT to 33" Falken AT3W and have to say...the lateral grip of the Falken is inferior to what is basically a street tire, the Patti AT.
I chose the Falken based on what I could tell to be the most aggressive tread pattern while still being in the AT class.
As with anything, you train to it and get used to it. But I'll never go with this tire again.
Lots of lines I have to overlook because I know the tire will simply give up traction in off-camber situations.
Scary half the time, irritating the rest of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom