Fake Wood (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My advise would be to do as everyone says and leave the heater on for a while, but when you are peeling off the wood sticker, use a hairdryer to make the adheisive even looser. Afterwards, use some Goo Gone or something and clean up what residue is left over.

I agree, I don't like the look of the woodgrain.

Russell

These are from an LX.

On the LC, is the wood trim on the center console an overlay like the other pieces?
IMG_5101.jpg
IMG_5102.jpg

hoser said:
These are from an LX.

On the LC, is the wood trim on the center console an overlay like the other pieces?

Hoser, what's that switch up and to the left of the shifter there? Is that the AHC control?

I'd keep my smokes there if I smoked, but for now, I put my phone there.

I thought everybody in NY smoked? No smokes for me either. Yeah, those are the AHC controls.

I also removed my vent "wood". On my window switches, both sides, I put in LX trim pieces. i still liked the wood look there, but didn't want to deal w/ peeling. My LC window switches popped right in without any problem. The LX trim seems to be some kind of carbon fiber, and much more brittle than the plastic LC trim, so it takes some patience.

I like the aging process of the fake wood, kind of like my face. wouldn't want to change it. But I know everyone has their thing. Mine is a 99 and it has the same spots with the gold color coming out.

aedgington said:
The LX trim seems to be some kind of carbon fiber, and much more brittle than the plastic LC trim, so it takes some patience.
Supposedly it's real wood on the LX.

hoser, maybe the newer ones are, but I got my trim (doors, center console, center hvac/radio) from an '02 that definitely is not real wood. It looks like some kind of carbon fiber which was polished & painted on the top surface. If you want to see, I'll take a close up of the center console piece as it is currently just sitting in the garage.

No hoser is correct the older LX's are all real wood too. Bird's eye maple in fact is the only finish ever provided by Lexus. I also don't believe we've ever had someone post these issues on an LX here on MUD. It's only on Mr. T's version that the ugly gold spots occur and it is most likely a delamination issue.

I'd bet if it came off of an 02 LX and it's not birds eye maple, then it's not originaly from an LX.

ok, maybe i don't know what i'm talking about. i'm going to post links to pictures so you can see. i didn't resize so you can get the full res. 2 are fuzzy, but i tried to close-up.

these DEFINITELY came off of an '02 LX. I personally removed them, the factory stereo HU, door trim pieces, and a couple of other items.

i'm not really looking for an argument, it's just the texans/49's game is just boring enough to keep talking about this :)

and again, maybe i don't recognize real wood when i see it.

what is hard to see is that there seems to be no seperate material between black areas & "wood" areas. it's all the same material, and the back of the black areas is a brittle carbon fiber type of material.

http://www.theedgingtons.com/lc2/IMG_0344.JPG

http://www.theedgingtons.com/lc2/IMG_0346.JPG

http://www.theedgingtons.com/lc2/IMG_0347.JPG

Last edited:
Nah, that's the same stuff that's on every LX. I believe you're getting fooled b/c the wood is plastic impregnated. That's why it's all one piece as opposed to the LC gold spot laminates.

It's real wood, just not in the traditional "slab of wood" sense of it is the best way to explain it. :D I think they impregnate the wood so they can manipulate and form the pieces better.

okey dokey then. quite the impressive impregnation :eek:

All in all, one odd piece of manufacturing huh?

B/c somehow the rear portion with the clips/tabs IS pressed to the impregnated portion I believe. Maybe this is why Toyota preferred to just go with the laminate stickers. I can't imagine those lexus parts are very much fun to manufacture.

wow im glad i found this forum =/ my cruiser suffers from gold-spot syndrome too. Heaters go on this afternoon ^^

I think the reason they don't use real wood is that it is very difficult to make the non-flat pieces in real wood. It's a manufacturing process thing, not a cost thing. I believe that any car that requiers a non-flat "wood" piece must use fake wood.

tech_dog, as discussed, the LX wood trim is real wood. The trim pieces are full of curves and not just flat. However, it appears to be heavily engineered; wood veneer impregnated with plastic and who knows else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom