F2 engine swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1975 fj40, f2 engine. Need to swap it out. I have available an 1983 f2 engine. Are than any issues in making the swap.

Good upgrade.

You may need to retain the carb and linkage from the 75. Not certain about this, but when I went through it (76 to 85 2F) I remember something about the carb linkage being different.

The heater hose routing is slightly different. The 83 is likely to have an oil cooler (good) and EGR valve(bad).

The exhaust dump will need to be massaged to fit.

FWIW - The 75 OEM Aisan carb is taller than the 83 OEM Aisan. The Valve covers are different heights as well.....I believe the carb linkage isn't the same, as mentioned above. Also the '75 has a fuel return line off the carb, an '83 doesn't. I had an 8/86 2F rebuilt for my '77, you can read thru my thread to see how I adjusted for this.

On the '86 2F engine I used a set of longer rocker studs and installed the taller type valve cover. Thus, when I used my '77 OEM carb and linkage, exhaust & intake mani's were a direct plug and play. Also, the fuel pumps are different. I used the '77 fuel pump to keep the fuel return line off my OEM carb. Also, there could be differences between water pumps and one may have an oil cooler as well.....and that is all the minor differences between the two I can think of at the time.

Be sure to do your homework and you won't have too many issues with the swap. :hillbilly:

Thanks Architect, helpful information. I don't have the oem carb, mine fj came with a weber carb installed. Sounds like any differences are more than likely minor, and with a little ingenuity the I should be ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom