Expedition camping in AR? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
gentleman and women,

I'm located in DFW and was looking to take the rig out to AR to camp with the family. I have grown fond of the hwy 7 and buffalo river areas but do not know a place that has a 4wd trail where I can set up camp. Not looking to hike/kayak somewhere as my vehicle has a rooftop tent and everything else I need. Looking for something secluded along any of the rivers in the region where a 4wd vehicle could easily access. Suggestions? Thanks

So you are looking for trails in the Ozark Nat. Forest? Around which towns? I know of a few good ones around the Sand Gap & Oark areas

So you are looking for trails in the Ozark Nat. Forest? Around which towns? I know of a few good ones around the Sand Gap & Oark areas

I really don't have a certain town in mind. We are flexible in that regard. We love the Ozark and Ouachita national forest areas. We Have driven along AR-7 hwy running from hot springs to northern AR which passes through Russellville and Harrison. I often find myself saying there has to be a place to camp in there but all my online research shows are state parks with predetermined camp sites where you have someone else camping 20 feet from you. While I am sure these places are great to camp I prefer a little more solitude. I have also seen folks camp along the shores of the buffalo river but they either hike or canoe there equipment in to these places.

Realistically, we are flexible and open to most areas. What we are looking for is a secluded camping spot in the mountains where I can drive a 4wd vehicle to shores of a river or creek, set up camp, and have a good time with the family. Anything that checks these marks is good with me regardless of location.

I grew up in Russellville and spent a lot of time in the Ozarks north of there. Areas around Big Piney Creek and the Illinois Bayou are high on my list. If you are flexible, stop at the national forest office in Russellville and buy an area map. It will have all the forest roads marked. From there you can easily map out a route along these creeks or others. Just about all the forest roads will have some place to set up camp along the way.

Get out there and explore what the area has to offer! Just do like me and don't worry about getting lost. You'll eventually hit black top and get back to civilization.

I grew up in Russellville and spent a lot of time in the Ozarks north of there. Areas around Big Piney Creek and the Illinois Bayou are high on my list. If you are flexible, stop at the national forest office in Russellville and buy an area map. It will have all the forest roads marked. From there you can easily map out a route along these creeks or others. Just about all the forest roads will have some place to set up camp along the way.

Get out there and explore what the area has to offer! Just do like me and don't worry about getting lost. You'll eventually hit black top and get back to civilization.

Great information. What about places to camp down near hot springs?

I'd second what tire guy is saying. there's some nice sites along the north fork of the Illinois bayou & up along the east fork too if you're in the ozarks. I also like the richland creek area. if you're south in the ouachitas, look at areas around the upper cossatot river (above the state park) or near the upper little missouri & caddo rivers near norman, AR. I also like the north or iron forks of the Ouachitas between storey & jessiville. There's some good sites near the flatside wilderness area & along the upper saline before it dumps into lake winona.

good luck, ty

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom