Exhuast smoke? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
You know at first I thought I'd try to hold off on the stupid questions - most folks probably have better things to do etc - but then I figured What the heck?! Maybe a few don't... ;)

I've had my cruiser for 22 days (who's counting?) and drive it just about every night when I get home. Of course there's the obligatory laundry list of to-dos, mostly drivetrain related...but I thought I'd start with my engine and work my way back.

Now that you've read all that, here's my question -

When I got it, it ran fine. Ignition good, no missing, nothing...but lately there have been more and more hiccups and I am starting to see exhaust smoke when accelerating. The only thing I've done so far is change engine oil and I did that the first week I had it. The smoke is dark black and is not seen while idling.

Any ideas?? What kind of things make an engine smoke?

X2 keep an eye on oil consuption usually not a good sign. Marvel Mtstery Oil can help some things. Not sure if it's right for ur situation. Best of luck.

Alright. Exactly how serious is this?

I just went for a drive and she's sluggish too...not responding as good as before. Again, strange because it ran strong before...

1st Do what Fast Eddy said. Then u can see what's next . Smoke is not good, but depending on the symptoms,u can go from there.Only being into this for 22 days I can see u having some issues with a strong engine maybe going bad. What's the history??

Matter of fact that is when it started. I'm really hoping it isn't something that dumb. But I've certainly had my fair share of screw ups.

I put 20W-50 oil in...I searched here on the forum and that seemed to be the concensus.

Is the smoke black or blue, if blue then your burning oil, if black then it's running rich.

Black- Carb related

Blue- oil related, check your oil for coolant contamination, could be headgasket or blow by.

Definitely BLACK. Carb related...hmmm, PO said carb was "freshly" rebuilt.

Many thanks for the help guys!

Run your tank down to half full and put a can of SeaFoam in the gas tank. Run it for a few miles and let it sit over night. Then run it down to almost empty. See what happens. If that does not clear up the problem you may be in for a carb rebuild.

GL

Ed

Simple things first, like check the air filter for obstructions and choke for proper operation... when was the last tune?

I agree with Badass that black smoke is a rich (fuel heavy) condition, resulting from incompletely burned fuel.

In addition to carburetor issues, you might change the air filter* and check to see that the fuel pump is working correctly. Also, smell the oil and make sure it doesn't have fuel contamination from a ruptured diaphragm.

*grant beat me to that one!

Ok. So check air filter, fuel pump and add a can of SeaFoam. I'll start with the simple stuff and go from there. :cool:

I'll post up my findings soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom