Exhuast shop in DE, MD or PA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've posted on here and you guys have been very helpful with suggestions for fixing my exhaust. My issue is that I can't find anyone to do what has been suggested by some on here. I've called and even seen a few muffler shops, but 2 of them now have told me that because I have leaks on the manifold and near the cats that I need everything from the manifold to the cats and they won't touch it. They'll only do from the cats back. I'm in a real bind as I failed DE inspection over 30 days ago and I can't get the thing fixed.

Just fyi... I have a 1991 FJ80.

I know when we welded up Brett's Y-pipe, it was pretty difficult in the vehicle to do and we couldn't even get everything. You may also try a hotrod shop, they seem to be more willing to work with you and give you what you want, or know of a shop/guy that does. You could also try a welding fab shop and have them weld it up.

I take it your not the wrench spinning type? Parts are obtainable, and the job is not that difficult. Annoying and time consuming though.

I know when we welded up Brett's Y-pipe, it was pretty difficult in the vehicle to do and we couldn't even get everything. You may also try a hotrod shop, they seem to be more willing to work with you and give you what you want, or know of a shop/guy that does. You could also try a welding fab shop and have them weld it up.

Yeah--JT made a valiant effort but I had to finish the seam in between the joint with some liquid metal compound from Napa. It lasted until September and I just patched it again.

tigrompy had posted over in the 80s forum and I pointed him here and to other regional club forums for a better chance of regional info since the exhaust thing isn't really 80-specific.

tigrompy--did you try the Capital Land Cruiser Club in the VA/MD/DC region, too?

I have a guy in Swarthmore PA (19083?)(Near Chester PA)that is a Toyota wiz, shop rate is about $78 per hour, they just did my engine install and if want to talk about rust...they got it done and done right, although I can safely say that the mechanic (Jim) hates my truck.

Buy all of your exhaust parts for CDan and bring them to this shop and they will fix it. Make sure that everything you buy is stainless steel. I think borla has the cat back system in stainless.

I am a big fan of NOT revisiting problem areas, ie exhaust so I would do everything in stainless or as close to stainless as possible. I know the Toyota OEM exhaust parts are semi-something that resists rust pretty darn good, so that's not a bad way to go.

If you have any problems PM or call.

John

Thanks for all the suggestions....

I appreciate all the helpful suggestions! If I were a little more handy, I'd just try to do the job myself. It's the welding I know nothing about.

What is the name of the guy in Swarthmore? I've got access to the parts in stainless, if he can put them on then he's my guy! Thanks.

Jim works a facility called Clarkes. The phone number is 610-328-7884.

Archy is the guy that should pick up the phone when you call, if a girl answers the phone I would ask for Archy, not that she can't write up the RO, but she is not car savy at all, she's hot and is the owners girlfriend. You'll see what I am talking about.

Tell Archy your specific problem and that you want Jim to work on your truck. He might be busy this week, he just ripped the head off of my truck and I know that there is other work there now, they will probably be able to schedule you in later next week.

They don't mind if you bring your own parts, just make sure they are correct.

Take care and if you have any questions PM me.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom