Exhaust manifold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a 2006 GX back at the beginning of September; Took it to get safetied and they did not pass it on account of what they perceived as a ticking sound they heard when the engine was cold. Don’t ask me how they heard this sound given the car was dropped off at safety with a warm engine. Took it to an indy mechanic who couldn’t detect leak. Safety people said they would not pass the vehicle unless the gasket was changed. Long story short I am now replacing the manifold. The mechanic bought after market manifolds from AP Exhaust and two of them did not fit.
What should I do? Go OEM? Local Lexus wants 1400 whereas Toyota manifold is 1100. I’m in Canada and have seen a couple of Lexus dealers in Cali and Fla. that with shipping and duties would be about 950.

has anyone had success with aftermarket manifolds? I can get my hands on Dorman manifolds for 750 or so. Obviously AP Exhaust is a no go.

appreciate any advice

Leaks in 4.7 v8 manifolds (ticking sound when cold) are well documented. They apparently leak where the header tube meets the flange. You wonder if you can just weld up what you have and replace the gasket. How bad is your old manifold?

$391 for a Walker at Rock Auto (www.rockauto.com) - manifold and cat. assembly.

Leaks in 4.7 v8 manifolds (ticking sound when cold) are well documented. They apparently leak where the header tube meets the flange. You wonder if you can just weld up what you have and replace the gasket. How bad is your old manifold?

$391 for a Walker at Rock Auto (www.rockauto.com) - manifold and cat. assembly.
The mechanic said he saw a small crack in the manifold itself only visible when you shine a flashlight at the spot. TBH i don’t think there was anything wrong with the manifold, but the safety guy was a jerk and I don’t really have recourse because I cannot register the vehicle until it passes safety. The mechanic had a hell of a time taking the manifold off to change the gasket. He probably cracked it then. He’s tried two aftermarket manifolds and they did not fit.

I gotta make a decision On whether to spend the money to go OEM. One thing I don’t get is I called Toyota and told them I’ve got a GX470 and need a manifold, they insist I need to go to a Lexus dealer for the part as the Toyota manifold won’t fit. I called Lexus and the guy said it’s $1400. I called another Toyota dealer and said I had an 06 v8 4Runner and they quoted me about $1100. Is this dealer BS or are the parts different?

What’s the part number? I see Lexus exhaust manifolds for $578 each per side

The mechanic said he saw a small crack in the manifold itself only visible when you shine a flashlight at the spot. TBH i don’t think there was anything wrong with the manifold, but the safety guy was a jerk and I don’t really have recourse because I cannot register the vehicle until it passes safety. The mechanic had a hell of a time taking the manifold off to change the gasket. He probably cracked it then. He’s tried two aftermarket manifolds and they did not fit.

I gotta make a decision On whether to spend the money to go OEM. One thing I don’t get is I called Toyota and told them I’ve got a GX470 and need a manifold, they insist I need to go to a Lexus dealer for the part as the Toyota manifold won’t fit. I called Lexus and the guy said it’s $1400. I called another Toyota dealer and said I had an 06 v8 4Runner and they quoted me about $1100. Is this dealer BS or are the parts different?
I ordered a Toyota manifold from Nashua Toyota. It's the same part. Bolts right up. I have to use OEM because I'm in California and have to deal with CARB so I cannot comment on aftermarket cats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom