Exhaust attachment solitions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jestlurnin

SILVER Star
Threads
Ok everyone my backwoods exhaust fixation repair is not holding the PO backwoods exhaust fixation repair in place.

This is a 75' FJ45. Is there an off the shelf solution to my problem? Looking for ideas here. I used some metal strapping and bailing wire and as you can tell the vibration from the exhaust jumping during driving keeps ripping through my "fix". I'm assuming some movement is good but too much movement is bad??

If anyone has an easy quick solution I'm all ears. Doesn't have to be pretty just functional.

IMG_9175.JPG

IMG_9177.JPG

IMG_9178.JPG

Easy, NAPA, O'Reilly and Auto Zone all sell universal exhaust hangers. Take some measurements, and a few pics and run on down. Find one with an integral muffler clamp.

Summit Racing has them too.

Sweet! Universal exhaust hangers...

Should have used my google machine prior to posting.

@reddingcruiser thanks for the info sir

There ya go make sure it has some rubber on it to compensate for the vibration involved and you will be good for another 100k.

It may be a good idea to make sure you don't have any busted motor or transmission mounts, or at least make sure they are in good order...

I just put the motor/tranny/transfer in. So I know we are all good there

The easiest way is go to the parts store and buy new ones as they are not that expensive. However if you are obstinate like me you can make your own. This will take some time and a bit of labor so by the time you are finished you will have spent around $60 in man hours to save five bucks but you can go to bed knowing you did it your self. First you need spend some time digging through your jars of junk to find two bolts, two nuts and four washers. The bolts should be at least 1/4 to 3/8 and long enough to go through the thickness of the old truck mud flap you have laying around and and the metal. Seeing as how all you can find are bolts that are too long you can cut them off. Run the nut down to just passed where you want to cut and the hopefully you have a good hacksaw blade. After the cut leaving the nut on you can dress the cut with a grinder or use a file. This way when you take the nut off the end of the bolt it will be fairly easy to put the nut back on when you put every thing together. Cut a piece of the flap into the shape of the old rubber hanger (if you have a band saw it is a little easier) and drill holes for the bolts that you have probably mislaid and have to look for. You will have to use a half inch bit or bigger in order to get a hole big enough to force the bolts through. Assembly is pretty obvious. Almost forgot, You have to grind or dill out the old rivet.

Ok everyone my backwoods exhaust fixation repair is not holding the PO backwoods exhaust fixation repair in place.

This is a 75' FJ45. Is there an off the shelf solution to my problem? Looking for ideas here. I used some metal strapping and bailing wire and as you can tell the vibration from the exhaust jumping during driving keeps ripping through my "fix". I'm assuming some movement is good but too much movement is bad??

If anyone has an easy quick solution I'm all ears. Doesn't have to be pretty just functional.

View attachment 1543013

View attachment 1543014

View attachment 1543015

I would go to a pick and pull and find a hanger on a wrecked vehicle that would move it to the frame like it should be and not off the the lighter metal of the bed. Years ago was common to see broken exhaust a pipe hanging down modern exhaust have come a long way and would take advantage using some of it instead something looks like a temporary fix.

Well $2.49 later and my exhaust is fixed. I've been wrenching on my cruisers for about 15 years now and never knew something like this existed. Awesome

IMG_9182.JPG

Nice! Well I gotta use the 45 for some home improvement this week so I went with the quick fix. I think she's gonna be restored next summer so I'll worry about doing it properly then.

Well $2.49 later and my exhaust is fixed. I've been wrenching on my cruisers for about 15 years now and never knew something like this existed. Awesome

View attachment 1543372

Doubt you would get fifteen years out of this. With that angle the rubber is almost touching the exhaust pipe on the one side and because of the angle your not putting weight on the rubber equally across. If your not going to do the job right I would at least drill a in the bed brace in a different location so gravity is pulling straight down.:meh:

@Living in the Past that was my thought too when I was bolting everything down. The line of pull is bad geometry. However,....I really don't want to drill another hole in the bed cross member so for $2.49 and 10 min I'll just keep replacing it until next June when I plan on refurbishing the bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom