Ethanol free fuel......use it if available ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes....did a forum search....not much info

So if you have ethanol free fuel available.....currently $2.77/gallon & 88 octane

Is it worth the extra cost ? Or just stick with 10% ethanol 88-91 octane ?

91 octane premium is right at $2.50 ish

Car is the '11 GX 460

Thanx !

I don’t run the corn syrup in any small engines or anything that sits, but in your daily I doubt it’s an issue.

I run it all the time when I get a chance. Consistently get about 2 mpg better on the highway in my 06 Tundra. Seems like I get better in the GX as well but I haven't ever actually kept track in that vehicle.

On our trip to Maine last month, most all the Eastern U.S. uses ethanol and has 93 octane. I found I was getting much better MPG also, by about 2 or 3 MPG!

Seems like all there is around where I live and travel in Colorado is 10% Ethanol. I had asked the service tech about it during my first service on my 2017 GX and he said be sure to use Premium/91+ octane, and if there were concerns (or I had to use E15 gas for some reason), it would not be a bad idea to run a bottle of Lucas ethanol fuel treatment or similar every few tanks of gas. I have used it a few times, but don't always remember.

I use it 100% in all my small engines (weedeater, mower, blower, etc). Never figured one tank of it, here or there, would make much difference in a daily driven vehicle where I'm using a tank a week. If it was more readily available, I would probably have an internal debate about using it primarily, but it isn't so I don't.

Why? My dad's experience and recommendation, based on his small engine use (lawn guy for a while) and secondly, because for years my work has been a 100% E85 user (in such equipped flexfuel vehicles) and we've experienced an alarming rate of low-mileage poor performance issues with those vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom