Error code help please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

My wife's 2001 lx470 sounds like it has an exhaust leak or vacuum leak. I can't find a leaky hose and it definitely has more of an exhaust smell than is typical in the engine bay. My neighbor is a retired master certified mechanic and he thinks probably exhaust but maybe intake. He couldn't look at it long, but will be able to this weekend. He feels it is fine to drive. There was no CEL for the couple of hours I and then he were checking it out.

After he left I had to move the LX forward in the driveway and then it had the CEL on. I drove it to autozone to get the codes pulled. By the time I got someone out there and turned the engine on the CEL was blinking.

It isn't stalling or revving. Just vibrating slightly more than usual along with the ch ch ch leak sound.

The codes are: P0306, P0300, P0303, P0301 with the first 3 repeated. Now to admit something stupid eventhough it was late and I was tired, I did pull a fuel line a couple of times when looking for a vacuum leak. So would that cause these codes. It was no longer blinking either after leaving autozone just solid.

Thanks for any help anyone might be able to give. This is our only vehicle right now and we need it for work and school.

I believe P0300 is multi misfire, the others are designating #1, 3 and 6. It looks like you have some new coil packs in your future.
How old are the coil packs and plugs?

coil packs may be original (can't be sure not original owners) plugs have seen 40,000 miles or so. Would pulling a fuel line with it running cause the misfires? It seems to run awfully smooth over all for 3 cylinders to be missing. No power drop, no stumbling, just a steady ch ch ch sound.

P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0301 Cylinder #1 — Misfire Detected
P0302 Cylinder #2 — Misfire Detected
P0303 Cylinder #3 — Misfire Detected
P0304 Cylinder #4 — Misfire Detected
P0305 Cylinder #5 — Misfire Detected
P0306 Cylinder #6 — Misfire Detected
P0307 Cylinder #7 — Misfire Detected
P0308 Cylinder #8 — Misfire Detected

The trouble codes are in the FAQ

Wiggle connectors to coil packs and injectors

Others (above) have noted what the trouble codes mean.

Regarding the blinking vice solid light the FSM states:
Misfiring of random cylinders is detected during any particular 200 or 1,000 revolutions
1 trip detection logic: MIL to blink
2 trip detection logic: MIL to light up

I offer that the FSM suggests first checking for wiring issues, then vacuum line leaks, followed by coil packs. There is a table in the FSM that lists Trouble areas (ranked most to least common to occur -- as seen by the tech writers anyway).

Trouble areas:
Open or short in engine wire
Connector connection
Vacuum hose connection
Ignition system
Injector
Fuel pressure
Mass air flow meter
Engine coolant temp. sensor
Compression pressure
Valve clearance
Valve timing