Engine vibration felt through the steering wheel and pedals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I feel this humming type of vibration through the steering wheel and pedals. Sometimes its there sometimes not. But it can easily be duplicated by revving the engine.. don't think it's drive train related because you feel it even when stationary... vibration Feel similar to putting you hand in your mouth and humming. I think it could be directly related to the steering column.
Any ideas?

Been discussed previously. I don’t believe there’s any way to mitigate the vibration felt in the steering column within a certain RPM range. I made it a point to bring it to the attention of the dealership shortly after I bought mine new as a means of getting it documented. They of course denied the ability to replicate it (but as you point out it’s consistent and very easily replicated) or that it is a known issue (though many others on here experience it) or that there’s a fix for it. I honestly haven’t given it any thought in the last three years but if anyone knows of a fix I’m all ears...

All vehicles have harmonics that can be felt to some degree. To help address this, the 100 series had a large harmonic damper on the passenger frame rail and we have a smaller one on the back of the t-case. As vehicles age and the rubber bits get hard those vibrations can be felt more easily. Same with adding stiffer springs, tires, and poly bushings.

I do have to ask, however, how you figured this out: ;)

Feel similar to putting you hand in your mouth and humming.

Ok not in your mouth but rather covering your mouth with your hand and humming... Naughty......

But going back to regular programming, I read there was an issue with earlier 200's where toyota's response was to replace the tcase and do something with the steering... I assume this was solved on latter years... With the initial responses it seems not and this seems now to be a norm with the 200s because I have a 2018 and the vibration is there... Any ideas just to minimize it then? Modified engine supports? Transmission supports, synthetic oils,diesel additives???

I have the vibration in my '17. For some reason especially noticeable in 6th gear at 2000 rpm. Because of earlier threads on the topic from others with the issue, I've learned to ignore it.

What year is your LX570? There was a TSB for early model years of the LX570 for this exact problem

Attachments

• 1700 - 2100 RPM Steering WheelL-SB-0022-09.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 414
i would have hoped that by 2016 they would have done something about it already....

Well, my ‘11 and my parents ‘18 experiences no vibrations, so who knows how common this is.

Also, your acceleration pedal is drive by wire, so there’s nothing connecting it past being bolted to the floor board.

But you are having vibrations going through the whole truck, but the seat is isolating them from your body, and just your hands and feet and getting enough vibrations to be noticed.

NVH is a tough to crack, when I worked at a Toyota long ago. This was the hardest service call, mostly because the body on frame trucks just have tons more NVH than the unibodies. That and it really comes down to people’s perspectives. But sometimes we found that running fresh fuel worked. I remember I solved one because the Kroger fuel the customer was using was causing it, but I only found out because it was doing it to my truck also.

Outside of fuel, and software, there’s not oils, bushings, or anything that was an option in older trucks that will stop vibration.

Last edited:
NVH issues are nearly impossible to cure without extensive efforts. Very hard to tell the origin and therefore the cure. To that end, I once guided a very well known overlander who swore he had a failed suspension when in fact it was a rubber body mount that was giving up the ghost. Point being it can be very hard to isolate causes, even to folks with a lot of experience. And trial and error is an expensive, time consuming, and frustrating process. Hence dealers stand on the “this is normal” box until forced otherwise. Toyota corporate is probably your best path if you want the fix to be on them.

Actually, I just put on some fuel from a new gas station... But it was only between half to one fourth of the tank...I do however feel the lc has somehow felt like it has gained some weight if you know what I mean... I also have not put in any additive on the fuel for a few tank fulls already... I'm was thinking maybe during the breaking of the car it would be better to not have those additives in the fuel of the car... I will try to finish this tank as soon as I can and fuel up where I used to fuel up.... The vibration is sometimes there sometimes not...

I have had that since new (it's a 2015), it's right at about 1800 RPM on the highway, some days it does it some days it does not.
Dealer of course could not replicate. Mods like suspension, tires, and skid plates did not change anything.
It seems not to do it when it's raining. I tried different fuels/ octane/ brands to no avail.

With the lx450d I'm sure Toyota has found the soluiton to this vibration... I highly doubtful they would come out with a Lexus with the same diesel drivetrain with the possibility of the steering vibration...

Actually, I just put on some fuel from a new gas station... But it was only between half to one fourth of the tank...I do however feel the lc has somehow felt like it has gained some weight if you know what I mean... I also have not put in any additive on the fuel for a few tank fulls already... I'm was thinking maybe during the breaking of the car it would be better to not have those additives in the fuel of the car... I will try to finish this tank as soon as I can and fuel up where I used to fuel up.... The vibration is sometimes there sometimes not...

Look up www.toptierfuel.com only use fuel from them has all the quality and additives recommended by Toyota and Lexus

Not to rehash the already extensively debated octane talk, but I exclusively used Shell V-Power Nitro+ (93 octane) for the first 40K miles of my LC. With the uptick of fuel prices and premium grade not being required, I switched to Shell 87 octane 4,400 miles ago. Shell is a top tier fuel and I gas up at varying locations. Neither grade made a difference with the vibration felt in the steering column ~1,800 RPM that I’ve had unabated since purchased new.

The thing that makes me.wonder is...this harmonic vibration seems to be present whether it's the diesel or gasoline engine.. it's not engine specific?!?! If it's not engine specific then it could.simply be some ancillaries shaking and transferring this shaking to the body and hence the steering and other body connected parts. There was a thread in another forum mentioning a tab in South Africa where they replaced the heater tubes with rubber ones.. also.another where the bracket holding the ac tubes were replaced... I hope we can get more.detailed notes on these fixes so we can approach our dealers and bring it to their attention...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom