1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Rebuild?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Crusin, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Crusin

Crusin

Hi all. I'm thinking of gettin my engine rebuild. Due to excessive oil consumssion... about 1qt per 200mi. now. Getting worst. LC have 168k mi.

Anyway, my question is. Had anyone bought a remanufactured engine? I saw a couple of sites that sell reman. engines for $2400.00. Is this a good- less expensive way. Or shall I just have it done by a shop? A shop gave me a quote for $5k with oil pump and water pump replaced.

Need some help pls. In-put pls. :confused:

Thanks,
    Robert

2. MSGGrunt

MSGGrunt

When you refer to a rebuild because of oil consumption are you assuming that the oil use is from worn piston rings? 168k miles is not a lot of miles for a Cruiser. Have you done a compression test and a leak down test to determine compression loss? I was having oil burning issues and I solved the problem with just rebuilding the head. Several hundred dollars is much better than several thousand. If it is time for a complete rebuild, I would buy a used block from a place like Cruiserparts.com, buy all OEM parts from Dan, and have a reputable machine shop do what work you are not comfortable doing yourself. Landcruisers have a long life because of the quality of OEM parts, I would really want to know what parts are used in a remanufactured long block.

3. CPJONES1231

CPJONES1231