170k doesn't look too bad so far (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found some coolant in the #6 spark plug tube, so shes getting torn down and getting a new HG water pump, timing chain.etc..etc.. got the valve cover and intake off today and it really surprised me how clean, new and not sludged up she was. I'll post more pics as the head comes off tomorrow.

Last edited:
CPJ- sorry about the HG job, but you're right it does look clean in there! Do you know the rig's history in terms of what type(s) of oil were used?

the owner before me had it changed by toyota, but not sure what oil was used in it, Im sure it was cheap stuff...coastal or something. I have used Castrol 5w30 since I have had it for the last 3 yrs.

That upper end looks great! What were your normal intervals on Castrol?

got the head & the oil pans off this morning, everything looks really really clean. I'll take the crank bearings apart & look at them this afternoon.

I've changed with castrol at every 2800 since 130,000

Last edited:
update: everything from the upper end looked great, but the rod bearings and piston rings are gonna have to be replaced. they didnt look too bad but they were worn pretty well. Also after reading the Head bolt thread I ordered all new bolts.

CPJONES1231 said:
update: everything from the upper end looked great, but the rod bearings and piston rings are gonna have to be replaced. they didnt look too bad but they were worn pretty well. Also after reading the Head bolt thread I ordered all new bolts.

Hmmm, kinda surprising, no?

I thought these engines were supposed to last 300+k?????

Spydaz said:
I thought these engines were supposed to last 300+k?????

It probably would have had the head gasket not sprung a leak. everything else looks perfect, Im only replacing the stuff cuz well, I'm already in there and I would hate for some small part to fail after doing a new head gasket.

got everything back together last night, with the new piston rings this thing feels as though its got as much compression as a john deere tractor. It runs really good, and really smooth.

That has got to feel good.

Congrats on a big job done well. Hope you get many years of service out of it.

Did you have the cylinders honed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom