Engine oil leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. I have a 1969 fj40, I am addressing an oil leak from the front main seal and timing cover. the previous owner has welded the pulley to the crankshaft, making this simple task a complicated issue. I am now standing at a crossroad, replace the crankshaft and associated parts, reassemble and enjoy. Or upgrade drivetrain to a more common power plant and go with a v8? What are the considerations with the upgrade? transmission to consider. Will the rest of the drivetrain be able to manage the HP upgrade? I am seeking some wisdom from experience to help me out.

Thank you in advance.
Andy

Right now your cheapest option may be to grind the off and check the condition of the end of the crankshaft. The harmonic balancer may just need to be replaced. Frpm the factory that was a press on part on the 69 model. Want to go V8 would change to a four speed and split transfer case and disc brake up front. Personally would not do a V8 conversion and end up with a three, one piece transfer and drum brake on both axles.

Right now your cheapest option may be to grind the off and check the condition of the end of the crankshaft. The harmonic balancer may just need to be replaced. Frpm the factory that was a press on part on the 69 model. Want to go V8 would change to a four speed and split transfer case and disc brake up front. Personally would not do a V8 conversion and end up with a three, one piece transfer and drum brake on both axles.
So am I to understand that there is not a nut that holds the pulley and balancer on the shaft? Perhaps this goofball just welded it and all I need to do is replace with a new balancer and pulley provided nothing else is damaged or out of spec?

I show 3/69 as the first time a nut was used. Prior to that time the harmonic balancer was pressed on. If something was update could mean you had a nut.

I have an FJ25, FJ45 and two FJ40s that had engines replaced before I bought them.

You can use the engine serial number database here on Mud if your s/n doesn't match your ID plate.
If you still have the same block I would try to salvage what you have, i.e. grind it and maybe replace the HB/pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom