Engine oil for 2LT diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to change the engine oil. Not sure which brand to get? What grade should I get? I am at southern nevada.
The sticker at the car use 15-40 but did not specified what brand.
Thanks

The brand doesn't matter. Any known brand , synthetic or non synth diesel oil will do.

If you want dino oil rotella T4 is a well known commidity.
Delo 400 is also a top oil.

If you want a synthetic oil The rotella T6 would be my option.

Any of the HDEO 15w40 will do the job but after you've tried a number of them you'll realise they aren't all the same as people try to tell you. Delo400 is a great oil if you can get it where you live.

yes

but after you've tried a number of them you'll realise they aren't all the same as people try to tell you
Like how does it affect things? Ive tried lots of oils in lots of engines, and providing you use the correct grade and type there are no issues.

Like how does it affect things? Ive tried lots of oils in lots of engines, and providing you use the correct grade and type there are no issues.

Various additives can effect things. It's been documented on the 6.7 powerstroke that "typewriter tick" is significantly decreased with certain oils.

The oil filter is expansive for 2lt at dealer and even the wix is about $50
How often (miles) to change the engine oil?

Poking around the forum it seems to be 5-10km I can't find a consistent answer.

The 1hdt is 5k km oil
10k km filter

Use 15w40 Rotella T4 during the hot season, and 10w30 Rotella T4 during the cold season (if it dips below freezing in your winter).

I buy my oil filters from Partsouq now. I use Union Japan brand and they are at least as well made as Wix/Baldwin if not better; but much lower cost. I've cut them open afterwards to inspect, and they look good.

I am 100% stop/go city traffic, and I change my oil at least every 3000-5000km.

If you are mostly highway easy driving, then up to 10,000km might be ok.

IDI diesels (2LT) run dirty, and need oil changes more often than other motors.

Use 15w40 Rotella T4 during the hot season, and 10w30 Rotella T4 during the cold season (if it dips below freezing in your winter).

I buy my oil filters from Partsouq now. I use Union Japan brand and they are at least as well made as Wix/Baldwin if not better; but much lower cost. I've cut them open afterwards to inspect, and they look good.

I am 100% stop/go city traffic, and I change my oil at least every 3000-5000km.

If you are mostly highway easy driving, then up to 10,000km might be ok.

IDI diesels (2LT) run dirty, and need oil changes more often than other motors.

Do you have a part number handy for the oil filter? Partsouq isn’t recognizing the VIN on my pickup with a 2L-T.

Hi guys, I live in Canary Islands (almost between 20 to 30 Celsius degrees all the year) and my 2lt ii sticker say 10w 30 oil or 5w 30 in severe cold climate... I actually have 10w 40 semisynthetic mos² from liqui Moly brand (tried full synth and was better and with any oil consumption). My question is anyone had tried 10w 30 in this engine? My clock mark 350k and I almost don't have oil level loss between oil changes (5000 km)my truck was consuming oil only when I put the cheap no brand oil from local mechanic 2 liters in 5000km...
Sorry for my poor English...

Hi guys, I live in Canary Islands (almost between 20 to 30 Celsius degrees all the year) and my 2lt ii sticker say 10w 30 oil or 5w 30 in severe cold climate... I actually have 10w 40 semisynthetic mos² from liqui Moly brand (tried full synth and was better and with any oil consumption). My question is anyone had tried 10w 30 in this engine? My clock mark 350k and I almost don't have oil level loss between oil changes (5000 km)my truck was consuming oil only when I put the cheap no brand oil from local mechanic 2 liters in 5000km...
Sorry for my poor English...

I use 10w30, but mostly only in less than 20C temperatures. In summer (greater than 20C) I use 15w40.

That said, I think 10w30 would be ok in hot temperatures, for regular driving. If you are working it hard and getting it hot, then I do not recommend this oil.

Thanks for the answer, I read all your post and I think you are the 2lt guru here! For now I will stay with 10w40 (maybe I will give a try with 10w30 next winter because I just changed the oil 2 weeks ago..)
I was only imaging that with thinner oil also the turbo will spin easy and earlier isn't it? Mine is very lazy and start to push only over 2700 rpm (stock engine 2lt ii with 350k km)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom