Engine Bay Temperature & Self-resetting circuit breakers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's a eggplant guys!!!

YES!!!

Bud, I re did my fan clutch on my own. Super easy to change the engagement spot with some fluid and adjustment of the spring. Can help you re do it with some help for my speedo...

Already on it Jeff with 20K fluid going in... tomorrow after it drains all night and I check the calibration in a water bath.
1591487920937.png

We can work on your speedo one of these days when you're ready.

Think I went with thicker fluid....at work can't check

Think I went with thicker fluid....at work can't check
Yeah it's a tough call on what to put in, the recommendations seem to range from 5000 to 30000 cps fluid depending somewhat on your locale (hot vs cold climate).

Already on it Jeff with 20K fluid going in... tomorrow after it drains all night and I check the calibration in a water bath.
View attachment 2331739
We can work on your speedo one of these days when you're ready.

Job all done per thread - Blue fan clutch mod...Thread has gone to hell, read at your own risk
Impact driver needed for all the Philips to not bugger the heads (actually not Philips but J.I.S. screws...), same goes for the internal adjustment screws.
Calibrated / adjusted the thermal 'vane' for 95 deg F... it was about 130 deg F before adjustment and noted full vane opening occurs at close to 212 deg F.
I filled the drive side with 45ml of 20,000 CS rc differential fluid from the local hobby store ($7.99 per 30ml tube) - lots of talk in the threads about what viscosity to use and how much should go in ranging 3000 - 30000 CS and from 30 to 60ml... When I drained it I recovered about 38ml.
Once reassembled it felt considerably stiffer than the original fluid which had me a little concerned that I might have overdone it on the viscosity or fill level and it might be locked up all the time. When reinstalled on the truck though it was not not noticeably noisier than before and seems to be moving a lot of air. Time will tell how it works out.

At $250 Wits End is sure proud of those modified fan clutches! I think all they do is replace the fluid in them with the heavier silicone oil. New ASIN blue clutches are about $80 on Amazon with free shipping. I do think I'll get some 20K silicone oil though and rebuild the one I have. Doesn't seem like that hard of a project.

It's not hard. I use an impact screw driver to get the screws loose without stripping them.

Frank

When I did mine... a big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom