Engine 1fz fe vs 1 hdt (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everybody,

Building my fj80, it has the 1fz fe and A442F.
The transmission is fixed but I wld like to hear your advise if its feasible to change from 1fz fe to another diesel engine ? And do i need to change the Ecu or other electronic parts?

The "80 series diesel registry" is a good place to start.

Keep in mind you'll lose a LOT of power. You're talking going from 120-140 hp at the wheels and losing 55 of that. Imagine a 5,000lb vehicle with 65-85 hp trying to climb a mountain pass.

The "80 series diesel registry" is a good place to start.

Keep in mind you'll lose a LOT of power. You're talking going from 120-140 hp at the wheels and losing 55 of that. Imagine a 5,000lb vehicle with 65-85 hp trying to climb a mountain pass.
Even with Turbo ?!

Even with Turbo ?!

The stock turbo (1HD-T, T for turbo) only makes 164 HP, and even the more modern 24 valve version of that engine only made 168hp. You can absolutely increase the boost to whatever power limit you want, at the cost of longevity.

Assuming you turn up the boost until it makes as much hp as the 1FZ-FE, it depends on how expensive gas is compared to diesel and how many miles you drive to decide whether it is worth the expense. In normal driving conditions (probably 95% of it) you should get better mpg.

Even with Turbo ?!

You can make much more power with the 1HDT than 1FZ, without anything more than a $20 boost controller. You simply install the boost controller and bump boost up to 12psi or so. You can also adjust the aneroid rod by rotating it to a position with more fueling. Before making those changes, you should install a boost and EGT gauge to be sure your changes do not create too much heat.

If you'd like to make really good power, install a Gturbo and an intercooler. My setup (still on stock injectors, fuel pump and aneroid) gives me enough power to climb any hill or mtn pass at 75mph in top gear without down shifting. Climbing those hills at 80 mph in the fast lane gives me 17-18 mpg. I've got a Gturbo GTX, PDI front mount and PDI intake... running 23psi boost.

I have the 24v type, the 1HD FTE with a gturbo huge intercooler ect. It makes 245rwhp (182rwkw) and 568 rw ft/lbs (770rwnm). More than enough power. In saying that however, the cost of doing the swap and making the 1HD-T go well is not worth it in your situation imho. You will be far better off going for the turbo kit that joey offers for the 1FZ-FE if you want more power, you will be out of pocket less and it will arguably go better than a worked 1HD-T. The 1HD-T stock is a slug, the 1HZ barely goes.

As far as your question, the 1HD-T, 1HD-FT are mechanically injected so an ECU is not required to run the engine itself.

Other than diesel, mpg and cool factor, what do you see a diesel offering you over against the 1FZ-FE?

I have the 24v type, the 1HD FTE with a gturbo huge intercooler ect. It makes 245rwhp (182rwkw) and 568 rw ft/lbs (770rwnm). More than enough power. In saying that however, the cost of doing the swap and making the 1HD-T go well is not worth it in your situation imho. You will be far better off going for the turbo kit that joey offers for the 1FZ-FE if you want more power, you will be out of pocket less and it will arguably go better than a worked 1HD-T. The 1HD-T stock is a slug, the 1HZ barely goes.

As far as your question, the 1HD-T, 1HD-FT are mechanically injected so an ECU is not required to run the engine itself.

Other than diesel, mpg and cool factor, what do you see a diesel offering you over against the 1FZ-FE?
Hi, thanks for your feedback, I thought the turbo kit only exist for diesel. I'm asking for more power, by installing the turbo kit the fuel consumption will be better right ?

Hi, thanks for your feedback, I thought the turbo kit only exist for diesel. I'm asking for more power, by installing the turbo kit the fuel consumption will be better right ?
Yes it will be, but not by much. Will totally depend on how you drive it. Unfortunately, fuel consumption is not the reason for choosing to add a turbo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom