Endless brake bleeding - And how to fix it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I use my Motive with a BA10 cap on both my 80 series and 100 series. Works fine.
I use the same combo just without the couplers.
I believe the biggest issue with power bleeders is, people pump them up too high. The issue being the seals between the reservoir and the master are not designed to hold pressure. Next is the fit from the "chain down" universal adapter. That's where you see people complaining about the mess.
I can only go to 15 psi on my cruiser but have gone as high as 40 psi on other vehicles. The only real advantage to higher psi is you get done faster.

The one I have at work is the big stainless round one. You pump that one up with an air hose. I've watched people pump it up to 100 psi, use the universal clamp adapter and spray brake fluid out past the fender.

I just bled the brakes after replacing all soft lines, booster and master. @flintknapper I used the BA10 and motive power bleeder. I usually don't have a helper, so pump> hold pedal with a stick>jump down and bleed. Lather>Rinse>Repeat.

I will never let go my power bleeder. It was super fast.

I just bled the brakes after replacing all soft lines, booster and master. @flintknapper I used the BA10 and motive power bleeder. I usually don't have a helper, so pump> hold pedal with a stick>jump down and bleed. Lather>Rinse>Repeat.

I will never let go my power bleeder. It was super fast.

Yup.

And remember if you still have a LSPV in place to move the arm all the way up to allow good bleeding through the valve and rear brakes. That is where most folks have the most trouble. That and air in the ABS.

👍

Yup.

And remember if you still have a LSPV in place to move the arm all the way up to allow good bleeding through the valve and rear brakes. That is where most folks have the most trouble. That and air in the ABS.

👍
I did cycle the LSVP arm while bleeding. I need to bleed the ABS however I was thwarted by a really dead battery. It was at 6V, so I guess half the cells died. I'll pop in a new battery and cycle the ABS. This power bleeding is a real treat. I could do a brake fluid change in all 3 of my Toyotas in an hour or so.

We had a similar experience @Vision19. I was all set with my Power Bleeder and ordered a BA10 cap in October...finally got around to it in April after foregoing DIY caliper rebuilds in favor of OEM rebuilds (still no BA10...thanks Covid supply chain) so we went and did it the old way. Everything went smoothly on the 4x corners, I jumped the ABS and that was fine too. Then the LSPV. We bled that thing FOREVER...finally we found that VERY, VERY gentle pumps bled it in just a few seconds. If the pumps are too quick or powerful, it worked for the 4x corners but the LSPV would foam instantly and just keep on foaming. Soft, slow pumps and it cleared all bubbles out in 1 pass. I did 3 more just because I couldn't believe we were finally done! The BA10 cap showed up 2 months later. Now I'm ready to Power Bleed the next time!

I can't imagine this is normal but it took me 8-9 quarts to bleed each caliper + LSPV until there were no bubbles with the Motive pressure bleeder. Before I started with fluid, I was able to hold 15 psi for a few hours so I don't think I have a leak.

I did replace all of the soft hoses (2 were cracked), installed reman calipers, and changed the master cylinder so I imagine I had maximum air in the system.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom