Emissions question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BY the way, is your avatar Matsumoto castle? We used to live not too far from there. Cool place. I liked the Odowara castle for its vast array of samurai and ninja weaponry. Best display I’ve seen in all of Japan.

I like Nagoya-jo, the imperial castle in Nagoya because it is close to Toyota city in Aichi prefecture.

I’ve toured the Nissan HQ factory in Oppama and the historic Mazda factory in Hiroshima. Both were awesome. The Toyota museum in Nagoya is out of this world. And not just for the Japanese cars. Their European collection from pre WW2 is world class.

I suppose this emissions thread has become a Japan tourist thread.
Good flag, back on topic: in terms of emissions, would you all recommend a 1978 or 1981 fj40...or basically the same? Is this FSM for each model year the best source for this information? Thanks

Yes, I took the Toyota factory tour where I learned about how they meet increasingly strict emissions standards. Very interesting.

Definitely do the 81. It has a catalyst and most of the emissions parts are the same as FJ60s which are much easier to find.

Yes, I took the Toyota factory tour where I learned about how they meet increasingly strict emissions standards. Very interesting.

Definitely do the 81. It has a catalyst and most of the emissions parts are the same as FJ60s which are much easier to find.
This is true. Especially if you keep the emissions in tact. If you intend to de smog, the 78 sure appears to be a lot simpler, however. The My Desmog thread in the 60 section has info on both years for you to compare.

78 to 81 will have a few differences as far as emissions go. However, rest assured the documentation is available on both. I am partial to 1978 for many reasons, so have been collecting all manner of 1978 literature and documentation, one of which is the emissions manual. Outside of the glove box, this is the 1978 group:

24E14539-0E74-41BF-9B80-F24C2E9575F9_1_201_a.jpeg

78 to 81 will have a few differences as far as emissions go. However, rest assured the documentation is available on both. I am partial to 1978 for many reasons, so have been collecting all manner of 1978 literature and documentation, one of which is the emissions manual. Outside of the glove box, this is the 1978 group:

View attachment 2428600
that is a great library, how difficult is it to track all those down? Late comment but the oem radio you found for your mustard build thread is pristine!
regarding emissions, basically if the vehicle had it when it rolled off the factory floor, I want to have it. Aiming for the time capsule approach when possible
wish I could buy a 1978 AND a 1981!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom