emblem repaint and intro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
emblem repaint and newb intro

Hello everyone! Great Forums!!!! Thank you to everyone for all the helpful info. I have been lurking around the forum for months but have not had anything to contribute.

I have a 96 FZJ with 119k and lockers all stock. It had the gold package when I bought it and it was worn out. I thought an emblem replacement might look nice to get rid of the gold.

Paint Choice:
I thought chrome would look good but also thought that a silver that matched the Toyota Landcruiser on the back hatch would look good. I chose Rustoleum Metallic silver to repaint the emblems with because it was as close a match as I could find.

Emblem Removal:
The front emblem has the five screws and a clip in the middle. no problem removing it. The rear T emblem had the two pegs and the glue holding it on but after i heated it up with a hairdryer all it took was a little fishing line to saw it right off. no problem. The Awd emblem came off the same way with heat and 20 lb test mono line. It took a little adhesive remover and hairdryer to get the remnants of glue off the Cruiser. The antenna nut came off with a needle nose pliers. The rear hatch lock was the most difficult but once in the rear hatch it is easy to see how everything comes apart and the hatch and lock comes right out.
Prep and Paint:
I did the front emblem first and after the 250 I used 2000 grit. At first I was just going to leave it with the sanded down look . It looked good by itself but next to the chrome around the grill it looked crappy. So I resandedwith the 250. then I sanded the rest of the emblems with the 250 and washed them off very well. I taped over the word Toyota on the rear hatchlock and around the Awd emblem with electrical tape. I like electical tape because it stretches.
I gave the pieces 8 thin coats with the silver and then 3 thin coats with Dupli-Color clear top coat.
I like the results.

Last edited:
before and after photos

Above is the original and repainted front emblems. Here are the before and after shots of the emblems on the Cruiser.
miscemblem.JPG

Last edited:
Nice work :)

And thanks for the helpful tips on getting the emblems off :beer:

what kind of adhesive did you use when re-installing?

:flipoff2:

Looks much better in silver IMO.

Adhesive

what kind of adhesive did you use when re-installing?

I used 3M two sided tape because I had good results in the past with that stuff. just stick it on the back of the emblem and trim the excess with an exacto knife. It makes a very strong bond.
erg80

Welcome!:flipoff2:

Great info!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom