Emblem Removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently removed my "Lexus" and "LX 470" emblems that were glued on the rear hatch. I got rid of all the sticky stuff, but now am left with a perfect outline of what looks like white paint scratches on the perimeter of what used to be the adhesive. The result is you can now see the outline of the emblems that have been removed. My truck is black and the scratches appear white.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm thinking that dust may have etched in over time causing this, but my truck is not that old. Also, why would the scratches appear white, is there a white primer coating under my black paint?

Any suggestions? Thank you.

It's probably a scratch in the clearcoat. Get a very light rubbing compund and go over it carefully.

X2 - I had some fine scratches, a small amount or leftover adhesive residue and some paint fade where the emblems were. I polished it 3 or 4 time carefully with a fine hand polish, and then waxed a couple time. It turned out great. Just take your time.

Great, thanks. I'll give it a shot.

As far as I know, there is not a clearcoat on the black. Is yours paint code 202? If so, I believe it's a single stage and you should be able to buff that out. Of course I would ask for confirmation on that, but if you just cut/buff the whole rear lid it should turn out just fine I'd think.

As far as I know, there is not a clearcoat on the black. Is yours paint code 202? If so, I believe it's a single stage and you should be able to buff that out. Of course I would ask for confirmation on that, but if you just cut/buff the whole rear lid it should turn out just fine I'd think.

That would surprise me for a later model LC. I would double check that before applying a buffing compound. Try the rubbing compound or I used a cleaner/wax on my white/silver 2004 and have gotten out many marks/scratches.

Use Auto Tar/Wax Remover -- it is safe for paint. I've removed stickers, and emblem adhesive without leaving a line you speak of. Then use swirl/scratch remover like Meguair's X. I've removed plenty of very light scratches from the car.

no holes? I tried to take out my toyota emblem on the rear only to find that the emblem has pegs that go into holes. I had to re-stick it until I buy a new emblem or have the holes fixed.

no holes? I tried to take out my toyota emblem on the rear only to find that the emblem has pegs that go into holes. I had to re-stick it until I buy a new emblem or have the holes fixed.

That is the only one I put back on...painted it black 1st for that "stealth" look! I like it, but my wife says it looks to plain...go drive your MDX woman! :princess:

That would surprise me for a later model LC. I would double check that before applying a buffing compound. Try the rubbing compound or I used a cleaner/wax on my white/silver 2004 and have gotten out many marks/scratches.

Even the new '08 still has paint code 202 as an option. I have 2 vehicles that are 202, and they are single stage. The nicest black paint on any car if you ask me. Just make sure it's 202. It's many many layers of paint. If you put rubbing compound or anything like that, it will swirl and you will certainly see it on this black paint. Ask me how I know.:bang: It has to be cut down from time to time to keep that liquidy fresh wet paint look that this paint is capeable of. A professional detailer can easily buff that out though.

i have 202 also on the LS....hard as hell to keep clean! Just got it detailed the other day, looks great but im scared to drive it now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom