Electrical oddities questions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 81 fj40, and have a couple electrical oddity questions. I've posted a couple pictures illustrating what I'm confused about. Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers!
81fj40wire1.jpg
81fj40wire2.jpg

o_O There should be special, not-so-nice place for some POs. The only thing missing is some residential/commercial wire nuts.

Last edited:
1981%20FJ40%20Electrical1.jpg

Is that engine/wiring harness original to that truck? I don't think it agrees with the parts shown on Coolerman's site, but I'm not personally familiar with post-78 40s. They somewhat agree with the parts shown for 82-83.

Last edited:
That's all part of your fusible link/battery connection. I'll see it I can dig up and 81 ewd.

Got this off of Coolerman's site. Apparently, Trollhole was forced to shut down all of the manuals that he graciously hosted online. :(

At one time Toyota's lawyers were threatening to sue anyone who uses Land Toyota in their products. The repos of the stamped bezel made of fiberglass and reproduction tailgate with Toyota stamped into it. For a while after Toyota discontinued the tailgate only used or reproduction minus Toyota were available. Seems now it literature they no longer have available for vehicles that no longer really support.

I always wonder why is Toyota so much different than Ford, GM and Mopar. So much of the early Land Cruiser information is what has been pieced together like a company that closed long gone. At least if their were gone nobody would be putting a stop to publicly sharing information.

Yeah. TTORA hosted a ton of helpful manuals that are no longer available.

At one time Toyota's lawyers were threatening to sue anyone who uses Land Toyota in their products. The repos of the stamped bezel made of fiberglass and reproduction tailgate with Toyota stamped into it. For a while after Toyota discontinued the tailgate only used or reproduction minus Toyota were available. Seems now it literature they no longer have available for vehicles that no longer really support.

I always wonder why is Toyota so much different than Ford, GM and Mopar. So much of the early Land Cruiser information is what has been pieced together like a company that closed long gone. At least if their were gone nobody would be putting a stop to publicly sharing information.

View attachment 2314214

Is that engine/wiring harness original to that truck? I don't think it agrees with the parts shown on Coolerman's site, but I'm not personally familiar with post-78 40s. They somewhat agree with the parts shown for 82-83.
Yeah, I have no idea what the PO did, looking at the fusible link I have, it lines up with an 82-83 style, but my rig is registered as an 81. Go figure. Either way, I have what I have. I'm going to email Coolerman about rebuilding it for me.
Thanks!

Why not contact Toyota and get the rights to reproduce ? I have seen bezels, tailgates, floor mats etc.. already with the logo.

Here is a pic of my 81
20200517_211028.jpg
20200517_211028.jpg
20200517_211111.jpg

Thank you! what does this connector go to? I have it as well, but never connected to anything.

wire cup.jpg

Not sure. I’ve yet to troubleshoot something that might involve it lol. That’s how I learn what stuff is otherwise, just leave it😂

As long as it runs, right? Lot's of PO wiring shenanigans in mine, but getting through most of it. This is really the last head scratcher, but I think I have it figured out. Either need to have Coolerman rebuild mine, or find some wire connectors and wire and be done.
Thanks for the input, and if you figure out what that connector is supposed to be for, let me know!
Cheers!

The twin fuses occurred in '79 and later 2F. It acts as a shunt, allowing a tiny bit of voltage/current differential to register on the ammeter. It eliminated having all the current for the truck going through the amp gauge like the older systems did, and substituted a more sensitive meter which reacts to smaller inputs.

Awesome! Thanks everyone. I'm rebuilding the fusible link and once thats done, will be firing her up after 10 years! Just need some windsgueld glass, build the roll cage, some new shoes and I'm off!

So, I didnt hear from Coolerman, and given my impatience in getting this done so I can fire up the cruiser this weekend after 10 years, I pulled apart the old plugs for the fusible link, took out the wires and rebuilt. All the electrical items seem to work at this point, we'll see how it goes this weekend! Everyone have a great holiday weekend.
Cheers!
20200522_184946.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom