Electric Blanket Camping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hmmm, don't know about that. I would make sure I had another vehicle with me the first time I used it, just in case...

I use the queen size version with dual temp controls in our KK trailer: Electric Heated Mattress Pads - Bed Warmers by ElectroWarmth

It draws 9A when both rheostats are set to their highest. I just turn it on high for about an hour before hopping in to a toasty bed. Then turn it down to the lowest setting on each for perfect heat all night; that draws about 2Ah.

So determine what the Amp draw is and then calc it out to find out where you might be stranded with a low voltage battery the next morning :D. Or not ;).

you can always plug it into one of those high end booster packs

Anything that generates resistive heat is going to draw a lot of power. And it's not just a matter of having enough power to restart the truck (pretty important though) because every time you heavily draw down a lead acid battery you permanently reduce it's peak capacity. This is more true with a starting battery than a deep cycle battery.

A foam mattress and mummy bags you can zip together should be more than enough to get you through nights along any navigable road.
- A sugar and fat containing snack right before sleep will keep you from waking in the coldest part of the night when your body is trying to fuel itself.
- A night hat goes a long way.
- An air mattress will not help you stay warm, It's like installing a cold draft underneath you.

Of course if you often end up in a developed campground then an extension cord can get you all the power you need for those really cold nights. And those nights you'll usually get your choice of spots without a reservation.

The blanket the OP linked to has an automatic shut off after 45 minutes according to one review.

Last edited:
Got one in the RTT for the kid and me, run it on the second battery. Really haven't had to use it yet. Leaving for a trip through Colorado around X-mas. Will be using it then.

Before you turn in, heat the blanket with regular heater, along with the interior. That way you'll only have to maintain the heat and not heat it up.

I figured that one of the ElectroWarmth heating pads would be one part of my first "heater" in the MicroRV. Use it to provide a bit of warmth on really cold nights. The other part would be to heat up the back using an engine coolant heater core with fan using waste heat from the engine. Run that as I'm driving back to the campgrounds.

when sleeping in my truck in below freezing temps, i just crank the heat F&R while I'm setting up the bed, and when I wake up in the morning I just start the truck for a few mins, let it warm up then get up.

I wouldnt use any type of heating element unattended(asleep) inside my truck, for the same reason you dont leave a fire unattended.

My son used one in his big rig for a couple of years. He really like it because it saved him a lot of fuel and there are a lot of places where you can't idle an 18 wheeler. As other posters mention he would turn it on for 30 min before he turned in and sleep with a down comforter.

Other than one weekend a month he lived in his truck and spent a lot of time in the mid west during the winter months. If he was satisfied I'm pretty sure they work well.

I place my electric blanket between my down comforter and feather top cover of my RTT.

As soon as I stop, I plug it in.

Before we crawl up- I unplug it. Down stays nice and toasty- maintained by body heat most of the night without fear of draining battery. During the winter, I use -40 Western Mtnrg Bison bags- using the same preheat. Works well in our Wyoming winters.

just get yourselves a nice sleeping bag and call it good.

Some of us don't live in the sub arctic, eh.

I get chilled if the daytime temps drop into the 40's:grinpimp:
What? You don't walk to work in the 20's with your coat over your arm.:flipoff2:

electric blankets while camping...? :eek:

are these the same old rugged cruiserheads of yore...? :D

me, I'd use a generator for the blanket (and reroute the exhaust to warm my feet...:D) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom