EGR Modulator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

B, Junk,
I hope i'm not jinxing myself, but It's been about 1k miles or so since I replaced the modulator and still no MIL. :)
How long after did you guys get the re-occuring MIL?
Eduardo

Eduardo,
Cleaning the EGR filter and resetting the code got me a month. I did this for several months.  Replacing the EGR modulator did no good; by then it was an immediate 2 trip failure. Cleaning the EGR valve did no good. Cleaning the EGR pipes did no good. Replacing the EGR valve got me 4+ months; then the MIL returned to the immediate 2 trip failure. Replacing the failing part (it tested bad upon R&R) got me 6 months and counting.

The VSV for EGR was my problem at 97k miles.
-B-

Oh the joys of owning pre-OBDII.

So what if it takes a 4K$ black box, At least I don't have to deal with the above. But, I do have to deal with my BUS transmission :G and all of the extra fluid it holds ::)

GO 442...............

B,
Humm?? Guess time will tell? Did you do the VSV replacement?
Looks like a real fun one!
Eduardo

C-Dan,
Are you trying to start that "My tranny is better than yours" thing this late on a Friday?
Eduardo

Nope.

All I said was I have a BUS transmission. And when I service it I have to spend more money on fluid, as well as having more used stuff to dispose of 8)
I was not touting the obvious advantages............. ::)

C-Dan,
Your primitive truck is perfect for those that don't know an ECU from a MAF. :G

Eduardo,
Time will tell. The good news is that you're OK with that particular MIL as it won't do any permanent harm as far as I can tell. The darn light will drive you crazy though.

I was fed up with feeding C-Dan's dogs (i.e. buying parts and not fixing the problem) so I took it to a trusted local mechanic with Cruiser experience. Their shop has the official Toyota tester so they hooked it up and tested the VSV. It failed the test so he replaced it. Total was about $200 including the part (at list :tear: ) I pumped the mechanic for details on how to R&R the VSV and have posted the write-up of what he told me here on this forum. Do a search if you are interested.

-B-

-B-,
I'll do a search and see if I can find it.
$200 including the part sounds very reasonable.
I have yet to find a trust worthy TLC mechanic, with the "4k scan tool", that knows the difference between an" ECU from a MAF"
Eduardo

-B-,
I found the earlier posts.
I'm glad to hear that it can be done from underneath, kinda like the fuel filter.
I hope I don't have to replace it soon, since I have other unfinished projects I would like to find the time to accomplish.
Thanks again for the input.
Eduardo
:beer: :beer: :beer:
It's Friday!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom